Forum: Ruby Really Simple Ruby AJAX tutorial

Ffcb418e17cac2873d611c2b8d8d891c?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)

I'm looking for a _really_ simple AJAX tutuorial that covers the basic
mechanics. I'm imagining something that only needs the standard Ruby
libraries (rather than needing additional gems: Rails / Nitro / etc).
Anyone know of such a document?

Thanks,
  Benjohn
Df5e7adb20adae6c120b04e7cafb15a0?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Sanheim (rsanheim)
On 1/16/07, benjohn@fysh.org <benjohn@fysh.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a _really_ simple AJAX tutuorial that covers the basic
> mechanics. I'm imagining something that only needs the standard Ruby
> libraries (rather than needing additional gems: Rails / Nitro / etc).
> Anyone know of such a document?
>
> Thanks,
>   Benjohn

Um, well if you want simple Ajax you really will only be using
javascript.  The server side piece doesn't matter, it just returns
data, so you can do that with any backend language.

There are thousands of simple ajax tutorials, but MDC usually is
pretty good: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/AJAX:Getting_Started

- Rob
Ffcb418e17cac2873d611c2b8d8d891c?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
>>   Benjohn
>
> Um, well if you want simple Ajax you really will only be using
> javascript.  The server side piece doesn't matter, it just returns
> data, so you can do that with any backend language.

I guess I'm hoping for an example of specifically how to build the
server side in Ruby, but perhaps I'll be able to work that out from the
link you gave me.

> There are thousands of simple ajax tutorials, but MDC usually is
> pretty good: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/AJAX:Getting_Started

That one does look good :) Thank you.
Df5e7adb20adae6c120b04e7cafb15a0?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Sanheim (rsanheim)
> I guess I'm hoping for an example of specifically how to build the
> server side in Ruby, but perhaps I'll be able to work that out from the
> link you gave me.

Yeah, any of the docs on the CGI library should be enough, check out
the Pickaxe or the online reference.  All you really need is to do a
"Time.now" or something similar on the server so you can verify that
your script is loading the content dynamically.

Have fun,
Rob
Ad0fe22a5ca3c6681dbce403c84048ed?d=identicon&s=25 Nobby Knox (Guest)
On 16/01/07, benjohn@fysh.org <benjohn@fysh.org> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi there.

> I'm looking for a _really_ simple AJAX tutuorial that covers the basic
> mechanics. I'm imagining something that only needs the standard Ruby
> libraries (rather than needing additional gems: Rails / Nitro / etc).
> Anyone know of such a document?

I recently found the article entitled "Build Ajax into your Web apps
with Rails" on IBM's DeveloperWorks. Maybe that is what you are after.
The URL is:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/...

  -- Nobby
Ce8b03e5750097942c58e12b46724312?d=identicon&s=25 Giles Bowkett (Guest)
> I'm looking for a _really_ simple AJAX tutuorial that covers the basic
> mechanics. I'm imagining something that only needs the standard Ruby
> libraries (rather than needing additional gems: Rails / Nitro / etc).
> Anyone know of such a document?

I think what you're looking for not only doesn't exist but can't
exist. Doing Ajax by hand in any language is guaranteed to be less
simple than using existing libraries for it. You have to learn the ins
and outs of browser inconsistencies in JavaScript implementations.

Additionally, Ruby has nothing to do with Ajax, Ajax is driven by
JavaScript. If you're looking for a simple guide to hacking Ajax apps
by hand, that's like a simple guide to graphing fractals by hand. It's
a contradiction in terms. If you want something focused on the server
side, there's virtually no difference from the server's point of view
between an Ajax app and a regular app; all the difference in an Ajax
app is on the client side.

I think you **either** want something very simple **or** focused on
the basic mechanics.