Forum: Ruby on Rails Instantrails.exe process wont shutdown.

025085ce681d948c55ba0f2b8225b2da?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Catt (chriscatt)
on 2007-01-16 07:57
Hi Guys,

Im really hoping someone can help...

I have installed Instantrails onto about 50 Tablet PC's - some HP
TC4200's and some HP TC1100's.

Installation etc isn't a problem, but i have noticed that when i
shutdown Instantrails, it closes, but looking at the task manager it is
still listed as a process running in the background- utilizing @ 3MB of
memory or so.

If I restart Instantrails, it creates a new instance of Instantrails-
and continues to do so until either I log off, or shutdown - or manually
kill the process.

I really need to get this fixed ASAP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.
Hi Chris,

Chris Catt wrote:

> when i shutdown Instantrails, it closes, but looking at the task manager
> it is still listed as a process running in the background- utilizing @ 3MB
> of
> memory or so.

How are you shutting IR down?  Any additional info would be helpful.  I
can't reproduce the problem.

Best regards,
Bill
025085ce681d948c55ba0f2b8225b2da?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Catt (chriscatt)
on 2007-01-16 22:44
Bill Walton wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Chris Catt wrote:
>
>> when i shutdown Instantrails, it closes, but looking at the task manager
>> it is still listed as a process running in the background- utilizing @ 3MB
>> of
>> memory or so.
>
> How are you shutting IR down?  Any additional info would be helpful.  I
> can't reproduce the problem.
>
> Best regards,
> Bill

Hi Bill,

I have tried various ways to shutdown Instantrails, but normally use the
"exit" option on the "I" menu, after stopping the MySQL and Apache
servers.

Did you try this on a Windows XP tablet 2005? - i have not been able to
replicate this on Windows XP Pro.

Is there any other info i can provide?
Regards,
Chris.
Chris Catt wrote:

> Did you try this on a Windows XP tablet 2005?

No.  I don't have a tablet.

> - i have not been able to replicate this on Windows XP Pro.

I suspect this is a platform-specific issue.  The tablet OS has some
'special' features that I suspect are at the root of your problem.
Could
just be the power conservation settings.  Could be more.

> Is there any other info i can provide?

If it were me, I'd be contacting Redmond.  I'd try the tablet OS
development
group, but I'd be ready to take it to the tablet marketing group in case
couldn't get the dev group's attention.  I'd also try to establish some
contact with the Ruby advocate they brought onboard a while back.  You
can
maybe find the name by searching the archives.  If you decide to do
that,
it'll probably be more productive just to start a new thread here and
ask.
Somebody here will know "off the top of their head."

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Best regards,
Bill