Forum: Ruby on Rails Small design question ... good or bad ...

0cf7e6818ec02aea59a76c638b492bfe?d=identicon&s=25 Swaraj Shergill (sunny)
on 2007-01-16 03:02
hey guys, I am trying to add mapping functionality to the example
application from the book.

The mapping (mapquest's openAPI) uses javascript to generate maps. So I
was thinking that I'll have a partial view to which i'll pass the
addresses and it'll  plot them. I'll then put the partial view in the
main view.

Is this a good way of implementing this ??
0cf7e6818ec02aea59a76c638b492bfe?d=identicon&s=25 Swaraj Shergill (sunny)
on 2007-01-17 01:53
Anyone ?? am I not explaining it right for you guys to understand ?
3f7fc5fbdbb40cf38d5bf94f265b343c?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Skegg (askegg)
on 2007-01-17 03:57
Swaraj Shergill wrote:
> Anyone ?? am I not explaining it right for you guys to understand ?

Not that I have seen the mapquest API, but I have played with Google's.

With Google Maps I passed an array of co-ordinates to the partial, which
looped over them to draw the markers and called the map.  It was quick
and dirty, but it worked.
0cf7e6818ec02aea59a76c638b492bfe?d=identicon&s=25 Swaraj Shergill (sunny)
on 2007-01-17 19:18
Andrew Skegg wrote:
> Swaraj Shergill wrote:
>> Anyone ?? am I not explaining it right for you guys to understand ?
>
> Not that I have seen the mapquest API, but I have played with Google's.
>
> With Google Maps I passed an array of co-ordinates to the partial, which
> looped over them to draw the markers and called the map.  It was quick
> and dirty, but it worked.

The partial you say here is basically a partial view right ?? I was
thinking of doing that too. I cant seem to think of any problems with
this method .. but do the more experienced members here think there is a
better way of doing it ??