Forum: Ruby on Rails Running Rails alongside IIS

F1eb8b540db13afbb3426637641534aa?d=identicon&s=25 Prashant Deva (pdeva)
 I am hosting a couple of asp.net sites on IIS on my server.

Now I need to host another site in ruby on the same machine. For this I
guess i will need to run the webrick server.

Can anyone tell me how to have both iis and webrick running on port 80,
otherwise people will need to add the port 3000 to the site name each
time they visit the ruby site.
F2289d673c5f7ebffc045ab74e58bbeb?d=identicon&s=25 Luke (Guest)
on 2007-01-15 12:55
Prashant Deva wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am hosting a couple of asp.net sites on IIS on my server.
>
> Now I need to host another site in ruby on the same machine. For this I
> guess i will need to run the webrick server.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to have both iis and webrick running on port 80,
> otherwise people will need to add the port 3000 to the site name each
> time they visit the ruby site.

Here you go:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2006/5/11/deploying-...
6d57db44c5a4e0721cc7f78cf0ce308a?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Bartholomew (steveb)
It's not advisable to run webrick on a production server - in fact,
it's falling out of favour generally as it does have a few bugs.

The latest idea for running on windows is to use mongrel to run the
rails application. You can then use IIS to proxy requests for your
rails site through to the mongrels.

That may be easier said than done as I'm not sure how you proxy on IIS.
 However, there has been quite a bit of discussion about the subject of
rails/windows on this group so i would suggest having a bit of a search
to see if you can pick up some additional resources to help you out.

Hope that helps,

Steve
6d57db44c5a4e0721cc7f78cf0ce308a?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Bartholomew (steveb)
It's not advisable to run webrick on a production server - in fact,
it's falling out of favour generally as it does have a few bugs.

The latest idea for running on windows is to use mongrel to run the
rails application. You can then use IIS to proxy requests for your
rails site through to the mongrels.

That may be easier said than done as I'm not sure how you proxy on IIS.
 However, there has been quite a bit of discussion about the subject of
rails/windows on this group so i would suggest having a bit of a search
to see if you can pick up some additional resources to help you out.

Hope that helps,

Steve
31254903db793bf6f84bbd607fe092fd?d=identicon&s=25 Anthony Eden (Guest)
We run a similar setup. In our case we run Apache in front of
everything. Apache then proxies to either mongrel_cluster or to IIS
depending on the URL.

We looked into proxying through IIS but it was more trouble than it is
worth.

V/r
Anthony Eden

> --