Forum: Ruby on Rails Good Linux distro for Ror

60b2a5127d21eb189799cecaad092db9?d=identicon&s=25 Baldur Gudbjornsson (Guest)
Hi All,

I am very new to rails but am a relatively savvy linux user. My question
is
regards to a good linux distribution that works well with most rails. I
am
currently running ubuntu which works ok but just ok, there are a few
things
that could work better. One being the script/console and although I was
able
to install the mysql binding it was a painful process. So one does
anyone
know how to fix the script/console issue in ubuntu? or is there anyone
out
there using other distros which work well with ror.

Thanks,
Baldur
3f7fc5fbdbb40cf38d5bf94f265b343c?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Skegg (Guest)
on 2007-01-11 02:50
Baldur Gudbjornsson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am very new to rails but am a relatively savvy linux user. My question
> is
> regards to a good linux distribution that works well with most rails. I
> am
> currently running ubuntu which works ok but just ok, there are a few
> things
> that could work better. One being the script/console and although I was
> able
> to install the mysql binding it was a painful process. So one does
> anyone
> know how to fix the script/console issue in ubuntu? or is there anyone
> out
> there using other distros which work well with ror.
>
> Thanks,
> Baldur

Ubunutu looks great when combined with deprec like this:
http://topfunky.com/clients/peepcode/free-episodes....
Not sure if that will help with MySQL however.

I like SuSE (mainly for historical reasons) and dislike Redhat (that may
start a religious war, but see below for my "get out of jail free
card").  Debian looks good but I never have had the time to check it
out.

Choosing a distribution is as much a personal choice as a technical one
as everyone has different tastes and opinions.  In the end it does not
matter too much, just choose the one that makes you most happy.
A8444cdb09dcbad549f5aa98449bf7d4?d=identicon&s=25 Eno (Guest)
Baldur Gudbjornsson wrote:

> I am very new to rails but am a relatively savvy linux user. My question is
> regards to a good linux distribution that works well with most rails. I am
> currently running ubuntu which works ok but just ok, there are a few things
> that could work better. One being the script/console and although I was able
> to install the mysql binding it was a painful process. So one does anyone
> know how to fix the script/console issue in ubuntu? or is there anyone out
> there using other distros which work well with ror.

Ive had great painless installations with Gentoo.

On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:09 PM, Eno wrote:

>> that could work better. One being the script/console and although
>> I was able
>> to install the mysql binding it was a painful process. So one does
>> anyone
>> know how to fix the script/console issue in ubuntu? or is there
>> anyone out
>> there using other distros which work well with ror.
>
> Ive had great painless installations with Gentoo.

Gentoo++

-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- ez@engineyard.com
-- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting
-- (866) 518-YARD (9273)
F213f27f9ca66e6c89668b33b0e3d252?d=identicon&s=25 Edx Xrex (edxerx)
on 2007-01-11 04:57
I use Slackware Linux - current
with radrails/mysql/apache/mysql-tools
ready to go :)

Baldur Gudbjornsson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am very new to rails but am a relatively savvy linux user. My question
> is
> regards to a good linux distribution that works well with most rails. I
> am
> currently running ubuntu which works ok but just ok, there are a few
> things
> that could work better. One being the script/console and although I was
> able
> to install the mysql binding it was a painful process. So one does
> anyone
> know how to fix the script/console issue in ubuntu? or is there anyone
> out
> there using other distros which work well with ror.
>
> Thanks,
> Baldur
Efe398b3b5436b0a8d4430090e8f86ea?d=identicon&s=25 seth b. (subimage)
Debian Etch.........although I will say Sarge was killing me for awhile
with
its lag for getting things up to speed with Mongrel. Etch solved all my
problems.

> > is
> > there using other distros which work well with ror.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Baldur
>

> --

--------------------
seth at subimage interactive
-----
http://www.subimage.com
http://sublog.subimage.com
-----
http://www.getcashboard.com
http://dev.subimage.com/projects/substruct
D855690573f11a2eba3951203c603b7e?d=identicon&s=25 Sergio Bayona (Guest)
on 2007-01-11 06:56
Those with strong opinions about particular distros, could you briefly
elaborate as to why they think is better?  (i'd particularly like to
listen to Ezra's view on Gentoo)

Thanks,
Sergio Bayona
264d62eb57bf9e3e3477caa429cf3fcc?d=identicon&s=25 John-scott Atlakson (handle)
What exactly were the issues you have had with 'script/console' or
MySQL? are you using ubuntu as a development environment or a
production server? I've used Ruby/Rails on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper) and
6.10 (Edgy) without any real issues. I've found Ubuntu to be very easy
to use, plus the user community is quite large and very helpful for
those edge cases when something doesn't 'just work'. But that's not to
say that it's perfect for everyone. Anyway, let us know what issues
you've had and perhaps one of us could help straighten out what issues
you're having with ubuntu/ror.

j-s

On Jan 10, 8:28 pm, "Baldur Gudbjornsson"
60b2a5127d21eb189799cecaad092db9?d=identicon&s=25 Baldur Gudbjornsson (Guest)
I am using ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10, as a development workstation. I managed
solve the mysql issue which was fairly well documented but the console
thing
I had a harder time locating the issue. But any pointers in regards to
those
two things would be greatly appreciated, especially the console thing.
See
errors I get when I try to run it. Any help is be appreciated.

baldur@baldur-laptop:~/ror_project$ script/console
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/completion.rb:10:in `require': no such file
load -- readline (LoadError)
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/completion.rb:10
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:252:in `require'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:252:in `load_modules'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:250:in `each'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:250:in `load_modules'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:21:in `setup'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb.rb:54:in `start'
        from /usr/local/bin/irb:13
A2c85dc5ee81b12e3cc0a6522e8d079d?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Hall (au5lander)
Asking "what's the best..." type questions will get you nothing more
than people's opinions.  What one person likes another hates.

Rails isn't going to care what distribution of linux you are running.
It's really just a matter of personal taste and comfort level although
package availability can play a part. I seriously doubt that any of
the major distributions have any issues getting Ruby/Rails up and
running.

If you are new to linux in general, I would most likely say that
Ubuntu is probably the best choice as was already said, with openSUSE
and Fedora being next, and Debian/Gentoo being last.  Not that Debian
or Gentoo are bad or anything, just that there is more involved in
running those distributions and I wouldn't recommend them to those new
(or fairly new) to linux.

Chris
Dfd6f9989147955682701da8227df8b4?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Wang (Guest)
Baldur Gudbjornsson wrote:
> load -- readline (LoadError)
>         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/completion.rb:10
>         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:252:in `require'
>         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:252:in `load_modules'
>         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:250:in `each'
>         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:250:in `load_modules'
>         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:21:in `setup'
>         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb.rb:54:in `start'
>         from /usr/local/bin/irb:13

I fixed this problem by making the ext libraries static (commenting
everything out in ext/Setup). This assumes you are compiling Ruby from
scratch. This is on Ubuntu 6.06 server. I have the Ubuntu readline
packages installed but that didn't seem to help when I originally built
Ruby.

--
Michael Wang
5233478c51a92b6a1a5c970cbf3a42f3?d=identicon&s=25 Isak Hansen (Guest)
> Hi All,
>
> I am very new to rails but am a relatively savvy linux user. My question is
> regards to a good linux distribution that works well with most rails.

Anyone running FreeBSD 6.2 yet?

Isak
13ea48f056b19349027d2f4a6921a46a?d=identicon&s=25 Jean-François (Guest)
Baldur:
> I am using ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10, as a development workstation. I
> managed to solve the mysql issue which was fairly well documented
> but the console thing I had a harder time locating the issue. But any
> pointers in regards to those two things would be greatly appreciated,
> especially the console thing. See
> errors I get when I try to run it. Any help is be appreciated.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=169891
(read the "Fixing Ubuntu Console readline problem" paragraph)

   -- Jean-François.

--
À la renverse.
3c6b222afd0ea3b9c0ba0722ac292937?d=identicon&s=25 mix (Guest)

Isak Hansen wrote:
> On 1/11/07, Baldur Gudbjornsson <baldur.gudbjornsson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am very new to rails but am a relatively savvy linux user. My question is
>> regards to a good linux distribution that works well with most rails.
>
> Anyone running FreeBSD 6.2 yet?
>

> Isak
83b5c9943dd360dc52ea71a593f9b584?d=identicon&s=25 donut donut (donut)
on 2007-01-12 04:09
I've been writing a RoR apps on ubuntu Dapper Drake for 6 months with no
problems(I've never heard of or encountered any mysql or readline or
script/console problems).  I followed the installation instructions with
checkinstall here:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1159106...

I hope this will work for you.
D82e1620b63912765315e87da27e7ae3?d=identicon&s=25 Helder Oliveira (kaydara)
on 2007-01-12 20:37
Gentoo => no problems installing anything related to ROR and all is
working with no effor
Eb5f749d076e06d241eaba08847449ad?d=identicon&s=25 jens.tinfors@gmail.com (Guest)
I am currently running a vanilla mephisto on OpenBSD and will shortly
deploy my Rails app on another OpenBSD box. works like a charm and
spins like a cat and is easy to install.

My fellow partner installed on ubuntu on his pc-laptop but that OS came
with a useless default screen resolution (~15" wide)  and could not
connect to our open wireless office network and so it had to go (I'll
get him a proper Mac once i get rich!)

I scribbled the process of installation down at -->
http://84.55.110.163/2007/1/8/mephisto-on-openbsd-...

work hard, play hard!
love/j =)
D8bdf72ae5ca202c0997ac3a04b1bf5f?d=identicon&s=25 thoughtobject@gmail.com (Guest)
I use Edgy without problems.  As far as I know the problem you have was
back with the Breezy version of Ubuntu.

Anyway, this page talks about your problem with a solution:

Sergio Bayona wrote:

> Those with strong opinions about particular distros, could you briefly
> elaborate as to why they think is better?  (i'd particularly like to
> listen to Ezra's view on Gentoo)

My reasons:

a) Its a fairly minimal distro so you install only what you need.

b) Updates are very fast compared to Debian, RH, Ubuntu, et al.

c) Its very easy to customize packages - the package system is
briiliant.
997433f165140d58f52b8c0d1d005dc1?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Aljord (Guest)
there is no such thing as a good distro for RoR, there are good distro
for You though.
If you know little about linux, then go for mandriva or opensuse.
Otherwise there is debian, ubuntu, gentoo etc... they're all good.
My advice is, take the one you're most confortable with
675475d0b65710be6d992eb5eb2c61c2?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Seidman (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 09:37:12PM +0100, mix wrote:
> and what about gentoo versus debian? where stability and comfortable to
> update (not only one server, but a lot) are important ?
> i think that gentoo is harder than debian to get the same stability,
> what do you think ?

Are you trying to start a flame war? Here, have some gasoline for that
fire:
http://funroll-loops.org/

Actually, the site appears to be down at the moment. Oh, well. You can
find
the Google cached page if you care.

--Greg
mix wrote:

> and what about gentoo versus debian? where stability and comfortable to
> update (not only one server, but a lot) are important ?
> i think that gentoo is harder than debian to get the same stability,
> what do you think ?

I worked for almost 4.5 years as a systems administrator for an ISP in
New York and I ran Gentoo on almost all of our Unix boxes. Its rock
solid, so I dont know what you mean. And updates are much faster and
easier than any other non-commercial distro out there since Gentoo
packages operate at the source code level (no waiting for binary
package and backporting nonsense - just build it already).
Ae16cb4f6d78e485b04ce1e821592ae5?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DeMello (Guest)
On 1/13/07, Eno <symbiat@gmail.com> wrote:

> I worked for almost 4.5 years as a systems administrator for an ISP in
> New York and I ran Gentoo on almost all of our Unix boxes. Its rock
> solid, so I dont know what you mean. And updates are much faster and
> easier than any other non-commercial distro out there since Gentoo
> packages operate at the source code level (no waiting for binary
> package and backporting nonsense - just build it already).

+1

our startup went with gentoo at the recommendation of our sysadmin,
and it was such a wonderful user experience that I switched my home
machine from fedora to gentoo too.

martin
Fac632373c881872ecf26d13aadedf7f?d=identicon&s=25 Joshua Bates (Guest)
Gentoo++
It's been painless getting the full rails stack up and running quickly,
and we're running 64bit with 4 cores. I'm sure 32bit is even easier.
I've always had to look at some tutorial, or just build from source
to get it running on Debian/Ubuntu, the way their package management
breaks up ruby is annoying.
Cb98c59a6ff22c72676e756bbd28f266?d=identicon&s=25 Jacob Atzen (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 01:45:31PM +0100, Isak Hansen wrote:

> On 1/11/07, Baldur Gudbjornsson <baldur.gudbjornsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am very new to rails but am a relatively savvy linux user. My question is
> > regards to a good linux distribution that works well with most rails.
>
> Anyone running FreeBSD 6.2 yet?

That would be kind'a hard since it's not out yet ;-) But I will be once
it is released. Not that it should matter much in regard to Rails.

--
Cheers,
- Jacob Atzen