I have written a simple answer-question programme (to be used in the terminal) for students and I need French and German characters (Ã , Ã¼ etc.): I've written it in Emacs, on a mac, English keyboard and operating system. It worked. When I tried it on a Linux computer (English environment) it didn't. I then thought I figured it out: I chose utf-8 wherever possible in Emacs (e.g. "set coding system for saving this buffer", without understanding what exactly I was doing, I'm afraid) and by including $KCODE = 'UTF-8' require 'jcode' in my file (something I got from the "Ruby cookbook"). That worked -- on the Linux box. But the file no longer showed the correct characters on the Mac. And it also didn't on a Windows machine. As I was planning to distribute the programme to the students on Monday, and as I'm sure it won't work on their mainly Windows boxes running whatever language, I decided to ask for help here. You must have understood from my question that any answer should be kept as simple as possible... Thanks in advance, JÃ¶rg. Prof.Dr.med. JÃ¶rg Hagmann-Zanolari Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics DKBW, University of Basel Mattenstrasse 28 CH-4058 Basel Switzerland Phone +41 (0)61 267 3565
on 2007-01-10 17:04
on 2007-01-10 17:20
On Jan 10, 2007, at 08:04, Jörg Hagmann wrote: > require 'jcode' > in my file (something I got from the "Ruby cookbook"). That worked > -- on the Linux box. But the file no longer showed the correct > characters on the Mac. And it also didn't on a Windows machine. If this is a terminal program then on the mac ensure that the terminal character set encoding is set to UTF-8. You can find this setting in the Display settings of the Window Settings dialog under the Terminal menu. > Mattenstrasse 28 > CH-4058 Basel > Switzerland > Phone +41 (0)61 267 3565 > > -- Eric Hodel - firstname.lastname@example.org - http://blog.segment7.net I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!