Forum: Ruby : Ruby/FLTK 0.9.6

7fd7ef91196768cae4e7ca215c8a0a8f?d=identicon&s=25 Jeremy Henty (Guest)
Ruby/FLTK 0.9.6 , 2007-01-09
http://ruby-fltk.sourceforge.net/

"Graphical functions of FLTK for make benefit glorious language of Ruby"

What is this?:

Ruby/FLTK is a Ruby binding for the FLTK (Fast, Light Toolkit) GUI
library.

Headlines!:
- Having languished somewhat in late 2006, Ruby/FLTK returns with a
  fat ChangeLog in 2007.
- A new class FLTK::Spinner (if your FLTK version is >= 1.1.7).
- All of FLTK's enumeration values and constant macros are bound to
  Ruby constants (with a few justifiable exceptions).
- Several new FLTK class methods (see ChangeLog).
- Convenience I: if FLTK.color receives a block it yields and then
  restores the original color.
- Convenience II: you can invoke #{rectf,rect,push_clip,pop_clip} on
  widget objects and the boundary of the widget will be used as the
  rectangle.
- FLTK.{choice,input,password} sprintf their arguments in the same way
  as their counterparts in FLTK (NB: FLTK.{message,alert,ask} already
  did this).
- New non-sprintf-ing methods
  FLTK.{message0,alert0,ask0,choice0,input0,password0} (NB: you should
  switch to these methods if you did not realise that their cousins
  call sprintf, as it will fix subtle bugs that appear when the
  argument contains a'%' ).
- Big cleanup of tests and sample scripts, plus a few additions.

Details are in the Release Notes and the ChangeLog.

The focus for version 0.9.7 will be:
  * Push towards full coverage of FLTK's global functions and Fl::*
    methods.
  * Any suggestions?

Regards,

Jeremy Henty
jeremy_henty@sourceforge.net

--
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
Jeremy Henty wrote:
> Ruby/FLTK is a Ruby binding for the FLTK (Fast, Light Toolkit) GUI
> library.
>

> Headlines!:
> - Having languished somewhat in late 2006, Ruby/FLTK returns with a
>   fat ChangeLog in 2007
[snip]
> The focus for version 0.9.7 will be:
>   * Push towards full coverage of FLTK's global functions and Fl::*
>     methods.
>   * Any suggestions?

On towards 1.0!! :)
Seriously, though, I was hoping there was an FLTK Ruby binding -- why
should Tk, Gtk, Qt and Fox have all the fun?

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.
Ae16cb4f6d78e485b04ce1e821592ae5?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DeMello (Guest)
> - Convenience I: if FLTK.color receives a block it yields and then
>   restores the original color.
> - Convenience II: you can invoke #{rectf,rect,push_clip,pop_clip} on
>   widget objects and the boundary of the widget will be used as the
>   rectangle.

Very nice touches indeed.

martin
On 2007-01-09, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> Jeremy Henty wrote:
>> Ruby/FLTK 0.9.6 , 2007-01-09
>> http://ruby-fltk.sourceforge.net/
>>

>> "Graphical functions of FLTK for make benefit glorious language of Ruby"
>> [...]
>>   * Any suggestions?
>>
> On towards 1.0!! :)

Thanks, but there's a way to go yet.  The core architecture's all in
place but there are lots of FLTK methods not yet wrapped (check
Coverage.txt for a summary).

> ... I was hoping there was an FLTK Ruby binding -- why should Tk,
> Gtk, Qt and Fox have all the fun?

Incidentally, the FLTK developers' mailing list just announced a beta
of Ruby/FLTK2 .  Nothing to do with me, though I'm hoping to give it a
look (*provided* I can keep up the momentum of Ruby/FLTK *and* find
some spare development time).  It's at
<URL:http://rubyforge.org/projects/fltk/>.

Jeremy