Forum: GNU Radio Problems building Gnuradio on Ubuntu 6.10

Ecf04bc59ba8dd98fef6e7044864e292?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Goldberg (Guest)
I hope this is the correct place to ask for help. If I
am incorrect, please accept my apologies in advance.

While trying to build Gnuradio following the
instructions on the website, I have run into the
following error message:

mikey@nefertiti:~/gnuradio$ ./bootstrap
/usr/share/aclocal/jmax.m4:128: warning: underquoted
definition of AC_CHECK_JMAX_VERSION
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#E...
mikey@nefertiti:~/gnuradio$ ./bootstrap
/usr/share/aclocal/jmax.m4:128: warning: underquoted
definition of AC_CHECK_JMAX_VERSION
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#E...

Going to the website referred to in the error message,
gives this information:

"Starting with Automake 1.8, aclocal will warn about
all underquoted calls to AC_DEFUN. We realize this
will annoy a lot of people, because aclocal was not so
strict in the past and many third party macros are
underquoted; and we have to apologize for this
temporary inconvenience." (...more info follows)

I am running Ubuntu GNU/Linux 6.10 on a HP Pavillion
8665C, with has an Intel P3 cpu running at 600 MHz.

Is there something that I am doing wrong? Any info
would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Goldberg

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 19:44 -0800, Mike Goldberg wrote:

> mikey@nefertiti:~/gnuradio$ ./bootstrap
> /usr/share/aclocal/jmax.m4:128: warning: underquoted
> definition of AC_CHECK_JMAX_VERSION
>   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
>   or see
> http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#E...

> Is there something that I am doing wrong? Any info
> would be greatly appreciated.

These messages are almost always harmless.  It looks like bootstrap is
finishing ok otherwise--have you gone ahead and tried finishing the
install/compile?

If it *really* bothers you, you can edit the /usr/share/aclocal/jmax.m4
file (as root).  You'll see near the top an AC_DEFUN(xxx, ...) where
'xxx' is a macro name and '...' is all the rest of the line before the
final parens.  Just put make this '[xxx]' by adding the brackets (don't
put in the single quotes).  This change, however, will get overwritten
the next time that package gets updated, until the author of the package
fixes it.

--
Johnathan Corgan, AE6HO
Corgan Enterprises LLC
On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 07:52:26PM -0800, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
> > would be greatly appreciated.
>
> These messages are almost always harmless.  It looks like bootstrap is
> finishing ok otherwise--have you gone ahead and tried finishing the
> install/compile?

Until the deprecated feature breaks ;)

This one in particular is not one of ours, and shouldn't cause a
problem.

> If it *really* bothers you, you can edit the /usr/share/aclocal/jmax.m4
> file (as root).  You'll see near the top an AC_DEFUN(xxx, ...) where
> 'xxx' is a macro name and '...' is all the rest of the line before the
> final parens.  Just put make this '[xxx]' by adding the brackets (don't
> put in the single quotes).  This change, however, will get overwritten
> the next time that package gets updated, until the author of the package
> fixes it.

The right answer is to submit a patch upstream to whomever maintains
jmax.m4.  I assume is has something to do with "jmax", whatever that
is ;)

Eric