Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby 1.9 is released, with material perfornance improvements

5b759c6335512131b5c0ab430b56775e?d=identicon&s=25 pauljdavis@gmail.com (Guest)
Per: http://redhanded.hobix.com/cult/yarvIsRubyItIsItRe...

It surprises me that this great news has not gotten more awareness.
With a smattering of performance concerns clouding Ruby for some
observers, I would expect this material speed increase to cause broader
celebration.

Maybe it will happen later in the week, or perhaps I am missing a
subtle gotcha.

Thoughts?
Dfd6f9989147955682701da8227df8b4?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Wang (Guest)
pauljdavis@gmail.com wrote:

> Thoughts?

My understanding is that "trunk" is the main development branch and that
1.9.1 is scheduled for release around Christmas 2007 (as described in
the branching plan linked to in the above link) so unless you really
like living on the bleeding edge, the incorporation of YARV into Ruby
isn't going to be something most users of Ruby will see for a while yet.

--
Michael Wang

> subtle gotcha.
>
> Thoughts?

	It is great that yarv is finally merged into ruby1.9 head. But its
still about a year off from being a stable production worthy
interpreter. ALso ruby 1.9 does not run rails yet. Lot's of changes
between 1.8.x and 1.9. 1.9 is for new features for ruby 2.0. So while
this is great news. It doesn't mean you can start using it for much yet.

Cheers-
-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- ez@engineyard.com