Forum: GNU Radio AOR 5000 as front end to USRP

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Cf1f87de124043f2da6c95cfc293358e?d=identicon&s=25 Eric A. Cottrell (Guest)
on 2006-12-31 03:53
(Received via mailing list)
Hello,

Does anyone use a AOR 5000 as a front end for the USRP?  The docs for
the USRP say that it is not very sensitive but I thought the IF Output
from a AOR 5000 could drive it.  It seems to work for strong signals but
I am getting the impression that a 10 dB or so amplifier would improve
the situation.  Is there a difference between the Basic Rx and the LFRX
board?  I have the LFRX board.  Is it better to drive the LFRX single
ended into one input or differential with the A and B inputs?

73 Eric
3596cfe1d579c65b9babd35e8787977c?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Ettus (Guest)
on 2006-12-31 04:25
(Received via mailing list)
Eric A. Cottrell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone use a AOR 5000 as a front end for the USRP?  The docs for
> the USRP say that it is not very sensitive but I thought the IF Output
> from a AOR 5000 could drive it.  It seems to work for strong signals but
> I am getting the impression that a 10 dB or so amplifier would improve
> the situation.

Did you turn up the RX PGA gain?  You can get an additional 20dB there.
Also, the BasicRX and LFRX inputs are 50 Ohms.  Can the AOR drive that?

>   Is there a difference between the Basic Rx and the LFRX
> board?

The BasicRX sends the input through a transformer and into the ADC.  The
LFRX sends it through a unity gain amplifier first.   For 10.7 MHz there
should be no difference.

>  I have the LFRX board.  Is it better to drive the LFRX single
> ended into one input or differential with the A and B inputs?
>


The A and B and independent inputs.  you can use them as separate
signals or as I and Q for the same signal.  They are not differential
inputs.  They are single ended.

Matt
745d8202ef5a58c1058d0e5395a78f9c?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Blossom (Guest)
on 2006-12-31 17:20
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 07:23:19PM -0800, Matt Ettus wrote:
> Also, the BasicRX and LFRX inputs are 50 Ohms.  Can the AOR drive that?
On my AR8600, I need to use 10 to 20dB of gain between the output of
the 8600 and the USRP basic rx.  It depends _highly_ on which band
I'm tuned to.  BTW, on the AR8600, there's a slight mod you've got to
make to the board to enable the IF output on all the bands.

Eric
Cf1f87de124043f2da6c95cfc293358e?d=identicon&s=25 Eric A. Cottrell (Guest)
on 2006-12-31 19:43
(Received via mailing list)
Eric Blossom wrote:
>> Also, the BasicRX and LFRX inputs are 50 Ohms.  Can the AOR drive that?
>
> On my AR8600, I need to use 10 to 20dB of gain between the output of
> the 8600 and the USRP basic rx.  It depends _highly_ on which band
> I'm tuned to.  BTW, on the AR8600, there's a slight mod you've got to
> make to the board to enable the IF output on all the bands.
>
> Eric
>
Hello,

Thanks to both of you for the information.  I got the RX PGA gain up all
the way.  I rewound the isolation transformer to be 1:1 with 14 turns.
I still have to turn off AGC for good signal levels but I got 20 to 30
dB SNR on RCI at noon today.

Doing some simple tests with the PSD display in DReam I can not see the
  noise floor increase when the receiver connected.  The FFT from the
USRP data also shows no increase so an amplifier is needed.  What
amplifier do you use on the AR8600?

Everything is jury-rigged so I need to sit down and design an real
circuit.  It is getting better.  It was frustrating to hear good signals
and get nothing.

I also have an AR8600 and an Icom R-2500.  Someone modified a R-2500 for
IF Out and mentioned strong signals.  I may try that as well.

73 Eric
745d8202ef5a58c1058d0e5395a78f9c?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Blossom (Guest)
on 2006-12-31 20:15
(Received via mailing list)
On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 01:42:31PM -0500, Eric A. Cottrell wrote:
> amplifier do you use on the AR8600?
I used a Ramsey PR2 broadband preamp (it's probably overkill, but it's
what I had on hand)
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce....

Eric
Cf1f87de124043f2da6c95cfc293358e?d=identicon&s=25 Eric A. Cottrell (Guest)
on 2006-12-31 22:51
(Received via mailing list)
Eric Blossom wrote:
>> USRP data also shows no increase so an amplifier is needed.  What
>> amplifier do you use on the AR8600?
>
> I used a Ramsey PR2 broadband preamp (it's probably overkill, but it's
> what I had on hand)
> http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce....
>
> Eric
>
Hello,

Yeah, it looks like exactly what I need.  Maybe I will also try hooking
an antenna up to it and fry my LFRX board from the local AM radio
station down the street. :)  There is a local store that sells Ramsey
Kits so I may look there Tuesday night.

I seem to remember AMSAT-NA was giving out MMICs one year at the
symposium.  I should see if I have any.  The problem is finding them as
my "for a rainy day" cache is huge.

Is the PR2 battery powered or does it have a DC In?  I hope it is 12
volts.

73 Eric
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.