Forum: Ruby OT: Python Worship

Those Pythonistas never quit, do they? :)

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/061130_python.htm

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.
481b8eedcc884289756246e12d1869c1?d=identicon&s=25 Francis Cianfrocca (blackhedd)
> Those Pythonistas never quit, do they? :)
>
> http://www.world-science.net/othernews/061130_python.htm
>
> --
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
> http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

Hisssssssssssssssss.

;-)
7387471891d4e108b6252f7c7fd0d3d3?d=identicon&s=25 baalbek (Guest)
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Those Pythonistas never quit, do they? :)
>
> http://www.world-science.net/othernews/061130_python.htm

This is not the only reference to humans deifying the snake; the Aztecz
of ancient Mexico worshiped Quetzalqoatl, the Snake God....

So Rubyistas, forget Ruby and embrace Python, the computer language of
the Gods!

Baalbek
9a4ae17201525474ec26e5d89b66477e?d=identicon&s=25 Michael P. Soulier (Guest)
On 12/30/06, baalbek <rcs@bgoark.no> wrote:
> So Rubyistas, forget Ruby and embrace Python, the computer language of
> the Gods!

Anyone pushing the "one true" anything is selling something. ;-)

Mike
baalbek wrote:
> the Gods!
>
> Baalbek
Surely there have to have been cultures that  worshipped rubies and
pearls. And the ancient Greeks and Romans had a god of the C

<OUCH!>

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.
9a90f8f50f86e95092a5d809e85ec990?d=identicon&s=25 L Forrister /rubytalk/ (Guest)
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Those Pythonistas never quit, do they? :)
>
> http://www.world-science.net/othernews/061130_python.htm

But what does this have to do with Python the language?  The "name sake"
of the language was Monty Python's Flying Circus.  Not some snake!
~~LF
L Forrister /rubytalk/ wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> Those Pythonistas never quit, do they? :)
>>
>> http://www.world-science.net/othernews/061130_python.htm
>>
> But what does this have to do with Python the language?  The "name
> sake" of the language was Monty Python's Flying Circus.  Not some
> snake! ~~LF

Well then ... why is the little icon on a ".py" file on my Windows
desktop a cute little smiling snake then? If it had something to do with
Monty Python, wouldn't it be something completely different?

On Dec 31, 2006, at 1:19 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Well then ... why is the little icon on a ".py" file on my Windows
> desktop a cute little smiling snake then? If it had something to do
> with Monty Python, wouldn't it be something completely different?

Guido explains this in his IT Conversations interview:

http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail545.html

Short Answer:  He gave in and finally let the fans use a snake as an
icon, though he always intended it to reference Monty Python.

James Edward Gray II
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Well then ... why is the little icon on a ".py" file on my Windows
> desktop a cute little smiling snake then? If it had something to do
> with Monty Python, wouldn't it be something completely different?

 From the "General Python FAQ" section 1.1.16  (
http://www.python.org/doc/faq/general/#why-is-it-c... )
and section 1.1.17.

Actually the icon on the Mac used to be a 16 ton weight.  Which came
from Monty Python's Flying Circus.  It's interesting that you pose the
question as "something completely different?"  Because, "And now for
something completely different," was frequently used to transition from
one skit to another on the Circus.  Don't know if you had that in mind.

~~LF
L Forrister /rubytalk/ wrote:

> Actually the icon on the Mac used to be a 16 ton weight.  Which came
> from Monty Python's Flying Circus.  It's interesting that you pose the
> question as "something completely different?"  Because, "And now for
> something completely different," was frequently used to transition from
> one skit to another on the Circus.  Don't know if you had that in mind.
Actually, yes, I did ... I just forgot to include the winking smiley. ;)

And yes, I also know that Python sports two tools called "Eric" and
"Idle". ;)

And yes, I know about the dead parrot.