Forum: Ruby on Rails large file upload crash rails app

Fd3a01306acbc090a33ed3fdf1882c53?d=identicon&s=25 Truong-an Thai (bithai80)
on 2006-12-30 03:02
when uploading a large file (8meg) to my live deployed railsapp website
( www.lifehoo.com ) hosted on textdrive, it crashes the railsapp.

Is there a way in rubyrails to prevent this from happening?
72f8ab180f81f9c544e2b58da399c0be?d=identicon&s=25 Elad Meidar (eizesus)
Hi Truong,

Please paste your exception details, it is very hard to guess (maybe
Zed Shaw can do some telepathic assistance, i heard he can do anything
regarding rails :) )
Fd3a01306acbc090a33ed3fdf1882c53?d=identicon&s=25 Truong-an Thai (bithai80)
on 2006-12-31 19:09
Elad Meidar wrote:
> Hi Truong,
>
> Please paste your exception details, it is very hard to guess (maybe
> Zed Shaw can do some telepathic assistance, i heard he can do anything
> regarding rails :) )

Hi, production.log and fastcgi.crash.log doesn't show anything.

however, while logging in via ssh shell, I noticed this:

RMagick: Memory allocation failed `Cannot allocate memory'.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
317aad7f9f0b69a440faca74bbe22b20?d=identicon&s=25 Jakob Skjerning (Guest)
Truong-an Thai wrote:
> Hi, production.log and fastcgi.crash.log doesn't show anything.
>
> however, while logging in via ssh shell, I noticed this:
>
> RMagick: Memory allocation failed `Cannot allocate memory'.
>
> Any suggestions?

My best guess would be to add some more RAM to the machine. Or in some
other way make more memory available to the process.

--
Jakob Skjerning - http://mentalized.net
On 31 Dec 2006, at 19:17, Jakob Skjerning wrote:

> Truong-an Thai wrote:
>> Hi, production.log and fastcgi.crash.log doesn't show anything.
>> however, while logging in via ssh shell, I noticed this:
>> RMagick: Memory allocation failed `Cannot allocate memory'.
>> Any suggestions?
>
> My best guess would be to add some more RAM to the machine. Or in
> some other way make more memory available to the process.

The problem with shared hosts is that your memory is limited. As soon
as you go over a certain treshold, it just terminates your processes.
I'm having similar problems with uploads and even downloads via
send_file on a2hosting's servers. The shell also reads: out of
memory, my processes are all killed (including mongrel, the site goes
offline) and a core file is dumped. The same application runs without
a problem on our VPS or dedicated server.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt