Forum: Ruby on Rails Getting ahead of myself, GUIs

2237ec675602bb32ed66c6aeea988324?d=identicon&s=25 Herp DiDerp (disparu)
on 2006-12-29 18:26
I know I may be getting ahead of myself since I don't even have rails
down yet, but I was looking for a nice web based GUI to pair with my
rails projects in the future, ajax sure does look nice, but by god is it
chunky and slow...are there any  extremely light/fast alternatives to
giving my projects some eye candy interfaces?
620c12639078ea2dde8a3b50ccee4c05?d=identicon&s=25 Stuart Fellowes (zanoni)
Could always look into Adobe Flex
there is a number of ways to integrate with Rails, remoting (i.e.
WebOrb)
and/or web services.

Stuart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_ambient
Aa33613fb12765fe505efea87844a12e?d=identicon&s=25 Craig White (Guest)
On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 18:26 +0100, Alexander York wrote:
> I know I may be getting ahead of myself since I don't even have rails
> down yet, but I was looking for a nice web based GUI to pair with my
> rails projects in the future, ajax sure does look nice, but by god is it
> chunky and slow...are there any  extremely light/fast alternatives to
> giving my projects some eye candy interfaces?
----
it's only as fast as your web services - if you are still in development
mode and webrick, that isn't going to be very fast.

Craig
8b22ad683842861ba91f68d5d32954db?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Norris (Guest)
Man, I hate Flash. But it is one of the only ways to create a rich GUI
interface with live data. But I guess to do that you need Flash Media
Server.
I'm just starting to look at Flex(Why didn't I before??!) and WebORB.
And if I was developing an app on my own, I'd definitely look at the
Red5 open source flash media server project.

The Flex compiler is free, but their WYSIWYG interface is I think like
$800, which is out of my price range for software. Also Actionscript
sucks a$$. But if you need the kind of interactivity and immediate user
interaction that Flash can give you, then you have to use it for now.
kthxby
On 12/29/06, Jason Norris <jasonmnorris@gmail.com> wrote:

> Man, I hate Flash. But it is one of the only ways to create a rich GUI
> interface with live data. But I guess to do that you need Flash Media
> Server.

To use Flex you need nothing outside of the end users to have Flash
Player 9
installed.

I'm just starting to look at Flex(Why didn't I before??!) and WebORB.
> And if I was developing an app on my own, I'd definitely look at the
> Red5 open source flash media server project.
>
> The Flex compiler is free, but their WYSIWYG interface is I think like
> $800,

It's Eclipse for Flex, but less then 800, I think 400 or 500.

which is out of my price range for software. Also Actionscript
> sucks a$$.

Why does AS suck ? Can't compare it to Ruby as far as design (not sure
if
that's the right word) but AS3 now is
officially a OOP language. The class api is pretty large also.
Although I'm relatively new to even Ruby , AS is making a nice
compliment to
learning OOP in general.

Stuart

But if you need the kind of interactivity and immediate user

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_ambient
4e9b34b410463c486f8d1ca11f5ce892?d=identicon&s=25 Ron Phillips (paron)
>But if you need the kind of interactivity and immediate user
> interaction that Flash can give you, then you have to use it for now.

Would OpenLaszlo be any help? http://www.openlaszlo.org/
620c12639078ea2dde8a3b50ccee4c05?d=identicon&s=25 Stuart Fellowes (zanoni)
The Rails plugin for openlaszlo is defunct.  Project is no longer being
continued and I don't believe it's current state was anywhere need
completetion.

Stuart