Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] New Rails site launch - MeandmyCity.com

2d3288b6e1189c1ebb64d9a224964ef8?d=identicon&s=25 Long (Guest)
Hello List,

I am proud to announce my new online service I have launched recently.
It is an
online business directory listing that is focused on serving people in
their immediate
community.

I also want to acknowledge and thank the many contributors on this list
for many
useful technical rails tips.

I encourage you to use our site and would welcome any feedback,
including how
the site can be improved further.

Best regards,

--Long
http://MeandmyCity.com/
http://mobile.MeandmyCity.com/ - for handheld devices
86e084334c00a932a3675adbf769de67?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Corcoran (Guest)
I like the clean look of your website. Looks like you have built in
some nice features like search, maps, email etc. Can you share with us
some things about your appplication like what database backend you are
using and who is hosting the site for you?

Thanks,
Paul
Efe398b3b5436b0a8d4430090e8f86ea?d=identicon&s=25 seth b. (subimage)
Quick, everyone slag this guy for announcing his rails site! :p

--
--------------------
seth at subimage interactive
Paul Corcoran wrote:

> I like the clean look of your website. Looks like you have built in
> some nice features like search, maps, email etc. Can you share with us
> some things about your appplication like what database backend you are
> using and who is hosting the site for you?

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the positive feedback and I don't mind sharing the system
architecture.

The production server (Linux) runs Rails 1.1.6+FCGI+Apache 1.3 with
MySQL
5 database. I think this is a fairly standard setup for Rails.

I do host with an ISP but only for connectivity to the net. The server
is
my own and I colocate it at their data centre. I will admit it was more
work for me to configure and manage the server, but I prefer it that way
(and it was a good learning experience too).

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Cheers!

Long
2d3288b6e1189c1ebb64d9a224964ef8?d=identicon&s=25 Long (Guest)
LOL, somehow I was expecting this ... just hope I can be forgiven.

Long

> Quick, everyone slag this guy for announcing his rails site! :p
>
> On 12/29/06, Long  wrote:
> >

> > Hello List,

[snip]
0a95f24b3f400be8d946f4bccb2f7006?d=identicon&s=25 Aa Aa (deadinplastic)
on 2006-12-29 23:07
How did you set up your templates? I am fishing for a good solution here
:).
Also the border around the image on the top is squished in Safari.

Aa Aa wrote:

> How did you set up your templates? I am fishing for a good solution here
> :).

Well I didn't do anything fancy. Just two layouts/ templates with
content_for_layout
to bring in action views. I use CSS for layout and it allows me to
easily
swap stylesheet file base on the request subdomain.

There are probably other solutions but it really depends on your
requirement.
Mine is just to try and make the most of what Rails has to offer and so
far
I am happy with it.

> Also the border around the image on the top is squished in Safari.

Ugh... I have tested with specific versions of Firefox and IE but not
Safari nor
Opera (or others?). Thank you for pointing this out. Would you know
what could be the cause in Safari? Perhaps I will have to grab Safari
and work it out.

Cheers!,

Long
Bc77637b2e39fcd4f3e8a6b61d82a2b5?d=identicon&s=25 jzakiya (Guest)
Long wrote:
> Mine is just to try and make the most of what Rails has to offer and so far
> Long
I suggest you first try it with Konqueror, which come with KDE.
Its KHTML rendering engine is what Safari based on, so that may give
you
a clue as to how it is rendered in Safari.

Jabari
jzakiya wrote:

> Long wrote:
[snip]
> > Ugh... I have tested with specific versions of Firefox and IE but not Safari nor
> > Opera (or others?). Thank you for pointing this out. Would you know
> > what could be the cause in Safari? Perhaps I will have to grab Safari and work it out.
> >

> I suggest you first try it with Konqueror, which come with KDE.
> Its KHTML rendering engine is what Safari based on, so that may give
> you
> a clue as to how it is rendered in Safari.

Thanks for the good suggestion Jabari. I realized after the last post I
didn't
have a Mac to run Safari on (hic-cup) :-\

Long
D5df9fcd7ef4c3c937435d7d6adeab2a?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Hauptmann (Guest)
couldn't see an obvious way to navigate to the Events Calendar?   i.e.
saw
how to add an event?
Greg Hauptmann wrote:

> couldn't see an obvious way to navigate to the Events Calendar?   i.e. saw
> how to add an event?

Hi Greg,

Right, I guess my events listing is somewhat unconventional as I don't
have a
calendar with links to events by date. I will try to explain below.

Events and listings are local to a city or community, so for Ottawa one
can add
an event using this link:

http://meandmycity.com/event/new?city=ott

If you wish to add an event for another city, that community will have
to be
created on MeandmyCity.com first.

A newly submitted event goes through an approval process and will list
once it
is approved (on the city home page). Other factors also affect when it
is listed
for example if today is the same or after the event_list_date. Once an
event
expires it will fall off the list. In this way events are listed and
expired dynamically
for the current date.

If there are many events on the list they will be paged with the
upcomming ones
first.

I suppose it might be clearer if I had some events listed...

Long
2d3288b6e1189c1ebb64d9a224964ef8?d=identicon&s=25 Long (Guest)
jzakiya wrote:

[snip]

> I suggest you first try it with Konqueror, which come with KDE.
> Its KHTML rendering engine is what Safari based on, so that may give
> you
> a clue as to how it is rendered in Safari.

Jabari,

Now that I have a chance to look at it with Konqueror (3.5.4) I didn't
see the
described problem as reported with Safari. So I am still kind a stuck
without
having access to Safari :-(

Thanks for the suggestion though,

Long
A176e9d5f85ec7e090e0fb09da572329?d=identicon&s=25 sudara (Guest)
You can use

http://MeandmyCity.com/
http://www.browsrcamp.com/

to display safari screenshots

many greetings,
sudara
A176e9d5f85ec7e090e0fb09da572329?d=identicon&s=25 sudara (Guest)
Whoops!

That first link is:

http://www.danvine.com/icapture/

sudara
sudara wrote:

> Whoops!
>
> That first link is:
>
> http://www.danvine.com/icapture/

Hi,

This link works for the main page but can't seem to handle pages with
query string parameters. At least the main page looked like it should so
I still don't see a display problem with Safari.

> http://www.browsrcamp.com/

I was not able to get this service to work at all. Keep getting an
error.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Long