Forum: Ruby magic/help 0.20061226.1123 released

98e5e1f8fb2da8322a032e3ff2d7e668?d=identicon&s=25 Tomasz Wegrzanowski (Guest)
I've just released new version of magic/help - plugin for irb
providing more intuitive
documentation access by heavy use of reflection.

magic/help lets you ask for methods located anywhere in the class
hierarchy:
> help "File.sync=" # returns documentation for IO#sync=
or even ask for help on arbitrary objects:
> help { some_file_obj.sync = true }
> help some_file_obj.method(:sync=)

Changes in the release include:
* Correct handling of all cases where documentation and reflection
mismatched,
  including Kernel# vs Object# (where methods were declared and where
documentation
  claimed they were declared frequently mismatched), SomeClass.new (most
classes
  do not override Class.new, but still provide documentation).
* Improvements in handling private methods, methods from modules,
unloaded methods
  from loaded classes (like Time without time.rb), and many more
* A gem for the library

Full release notes for the new version:
* http://t-a-w.blogspot.com/2006/12/magichelp-update.html
The original post announcing magic/help:
* http://t-a-w.blogspot.com/2006/11/magichelp-for-ruby.html

For simply downloading the gem:
* http://zabor.org/taw/magic_help/magic_help-0.20061...

By the way, what should I do to get my gems onto default gem repository
? :-)
8b4249ca3bb8c123da9f7aca63a652e1?d=identicon&s=25 Andre Nathan (Guest)
On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 00:21 +0900, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> I've just released new version of magic/help - plugin for irb
> providing more intuitive
> documentation access by heavy use of reflection.

Nice :)

> By the way, what should I do to get my gems onto default gem repository ? :-)

Create a project at rubyforge and upload the files there.

Andre
On Dec 26, 2006, at 7:21 AM, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

Nice project!! Too bad I won't use it until it is a full fledged gem.

> For simply downloading the gem:
> * http://zabor.org/taw/magic_help/magic_help-0.20061...
>
> By the way, what should I do to get my gems onto default gem
> repository ? :-)

Yes, as Andre pointed out. Create a project on rubyforge. This is the
easiest way and there are a lot of benefits:

+ bug tracker (this is probably the most important imo).
+ mailing lists.
+ cvs/svn hosting if you are so inclined. (our projects use perforce
and mirror to svn)
+ public announcements with RSS feeds.
+ web space for your doco.
+ wiki full of spam :)
+ people can find your stuff since it is the first place to go to
find ruby related things.
560c83ff6b6600e39315a1cf75b7c229?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Copeland (Guest)
On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 05:16 +0900, Ryan Davis wrote:
> + wiki full of spam :)

Sad but true!  But at least now if the Wiki isn't selected it doesn't
get created and spammed...

Speaking of which, if anyone has a RubyForge project and you've enabled
but are no longer using a Wiki, please go into the project admin pages
and disable it.  You will reduce the entropy of the universe!

Thanks,

Tom