So, I'm writing a program which uses SWIG to interface between C++ and Ruby, and I just upgraded my Ruby version from an older version (I think 1.8.2) to the current stable release (1.8.5). Now when I compile (in MSVS2003) I receive "fatal error C1189: #error : MSC version unmatch" from Ruby's config.h, from these lines: #if _MSC_VER != 1200 #error MSC version unmatch #endif If I comment out these lines, I then get errors from ostream and istream: ostream(491) : warning C4003: not enough actual parameters for macro 'write' ostream(490) : error C2059: syntax error : ')' and so on. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
on 2006-12-24 00:06
on 2006-12-24 05:38
Hi, At Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:05:05 +0900, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote in [ruby-talk:231120]: > So, I'm writing a program which uses SWIG to interface between C++ and > Ruby, and I just upgraded my Ruby version from an older version (I > think 1.8.2) to the current stable release (1.8.5). Now when I compile > (in MSVS2003) I receive "fatal error C1189: #error : MSC version > unmatch" from Ruby's config.h, from these lines: > #if _MSC_VER != 1200 > #error MSC version unmatch > #endif You can't mix ruby compiled with Visual C++ version 6 and extensions compile with Visual C++ version 7 (MSVS2003), or vice versa, due to the binary incompatibility between MSVC runtime DLLs which those compilers use. The only possible alternatives are: a) compile your extension with VC6 (or mingw), or b) compile ruby (and other extensions if you need) by yourself with VC7.
on 2006-12-24 14:45
On 12/24/06, email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > ostream(491) : warning C4003: not enough actual parameters for macro > 'write' > ostream(490) : error C2059: syntax error : ')' > and so on. You're facing two issues: 1. compiling extension with another compiler than ruby was compiled with. 2. 1.8.5 has problems with stl, namely iostrem. 1. You may be lucky, and it might work. Just comment out the check. DANGER!!! You may encounter strange bugs if you try! That being said, for me it worked somehow (ruby VC6, ext VC8) - my extension is a really thin layer that just copies memory chunks back and forth. I'm not sure what the dangerous areas are, I remember hearing something about files and errno. If you can't compile your extension with VC6 or mingw, compiling ruby + oneclick installer with VC8 is a matter of a few hours. (I didn't test too extensively the result, though). Just download the ruby source tarball, read the readme in win32 dir, set your paths and start whatever the readme tells you. One-click the same - checkout/export trunk, and follow the readme. I had to download some things manually from other sources, as their main site didn't work that time. 2. I had a similar problem. I got around it by #undef'ing write and read before I #included <iostream> Now that I think of it, I should have filed a bug... I have just done that: #7431.