Fwd: Can Rails Do This?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: [email protected] [email protected]
Date: Dec 21, 2006 4:38 PM
Subject: Can Rails Do This?
To: “Ruby on Rails: Talk” [email protected]

Hello I’ve decided to take on learning on rails and came up with a
simple project that I can add onto as I learn so that the project and I
can grow together. Before I got into it though I wanted to make sure
that the features I want in the end product will be doable with rails.

The system is basically a news or article managment system and I will
start off with the simple stuff and would like to add the following
features.

Admin and Author CP
Truncated article overviews
Auto monthly archive that also will put all the articles for that month
in a downloadable pdf
Post by email feature for authors
RSS
Template modification from Admin Interface with built in back up and
restore functions
Site map generator for Google
Spam control for comments
Views to display the most read and most commented and so on to be
displayed on the front page.

I have others but know that they can be done in rails but these I
wanted to check on so I figured this is the best place to ask.

Please keep in mind that since I am learning I will start small and
work through the list but I wanted a project that I could learn a lot
from while still keeping towards the same goal.

Any input is welcome and I sure that I will be back with more
questions.

p.s. I tried searching for the answers but it was way to hard to try
and weed through the results and find the answers I wanted.

Thank You,
Mitchell Blankenship
Owner, Audio Intrigue

Hi Mitchel

Yeah in Rails and Ruby you will be able to accomplish all the items you
have
on the list but its not something that is available out-of-the-box. You
have
to work your way out to implement all that stuff and solve the problems
you
will face. Some of them will be technical others will be sort of mind
shifting.

The "Auto monthly archive " will probably be better done via a cron job
and
not in rails directly.

Already you have several features to implement, pick the simplest one
and
start from there and then move on to another.

No knowing the details of you project and from what you are after i
would
start with one of these

  • Views to display the most read and most commented and so on to be
    displayed on the front page.

or

  • Admin and Author CP

Good luck and have fun with rails.

Jorge

Hello I’ve decided to take on learning on rails and came up with a

Auto monthly archive that also will put all the articles for that month
I have others but know that they can be done in rails but these I
and weed through the results and find the answers I wanted.

Thank You,
Mitchell Blankenship
Owner, Audio Intrigue

Jorge S.

Yeah it’s basically an over glorified news system but I thought I wouls
start off with the basic news catagory author set up and work my way
from there in the most logical way possible. I figured cron would be
the easiest way to accomplish the auto archive. Thanks for the feed
back. Now I can get started and hopefully learning this way will
improve my overall programing skills. As I said before I’m sure I"ll be
back with plenty of questions. Merry Christmas.