Forum: Ruby on Rails Deploying a RoR Intranet Application on Windows Server 2003

obrien.andrew (Guest)
Hi everyone,

I just finished developing a small reporting application using RoR and
first I'd like to thank the community for the already much praised
awesomeness of this framework.  Now, my situation and question:

This application is pretty small and is probably only going to be used
by 3-4 people at any time.  Also I'm constrained to a Windows server
and I'm far more familiar with deploying on Mac and *nix servers.  I
figured that because of the size of the audience Apache + *CGI seems
like overkill and I'd rather just use WEBrick, which I had a pretty
good experience with in development.

What the best way to set up WEBrick to run continuously on WIndows
Server 2003?  As a service (which I don't know how to do, but I've
heard tossed around as a solution)?  If so, how would I do that?

Also, I've noticed that if I leave WEBrick running for awhile (> 24
hours or so), it will start throwing database related exceptions
(ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid on a query on my index page).
Restarting the process fixes this.  What's the best way to fix this in
production?  I'm ok with somehow scheduling a restart while the people
are out of the office (although I don't know how).

Thanks,
Andrew
peterjwright (Guest)
nicholas.stuart (Guest)
I would agree with that. As much as I would love to use Apache for
hosting, we are windows shop ( :(  ) and I'm pretty much stuck with
IIS. That being said, setting up rails to run on IIS isn't to terribly
painful. The wiki is a good start but is missing some of the stuff on
setting up FCGI. Do a google search for
bitslapped rails windows
and you should find another failrly good article to help you out. I've
gotten this setup working on several 2003 boxes so far, and while I
can't say they have been used heavily I don't see any problems running
it like this. *crosses fingers*
jeremy (Guest)
nicholas.stuart (Guest)
Can do.