Forum: Redcloth Installing on CentOS

64eb4ef1489caf001e857d56baea79dd?d=identicon&s=25 Douglas Pearson (Guest)

I'm trying to install RedCloth on CentOS.  It came with ruby 1.8.5
pre-installed so I installed rubygems-1.2.0 since that seemed compatible
(later versions require ruby 1.8.6).

All looks good but when I try:

[root@dev4 rubygems-1.2.0]# gem install RedCloth
ERROR:  could not find gem RedCloth locally or in a repository

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?  Do I need to configure some

P.S. Total Ruby/RubyGems novice - so I could be doing all manner of dumb
A50dcaaf8e545e6cc1fb4e32919be6ad?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Garber (jgarber)
Sorry, I was away on vacation. I'm not sure why it's not working. I
certainly have never tested it with Ruby or RubyGems that old. Even if
do get it to find it, it's going to want to install a bunch of
that aren't necessary because older RubyGems didn't have the concept of
development dependencies.

If it were me, I'd use RVM to install a recent version of Ruby and
Otherwise, I imagine you'll have problems with libraries other than
as well and it's probably not worth figuring out. Good luck!

64eb4ef1489caf001e857d56baea79dd?d=identicon&s=25 Douglas Pearson (Guest)
Hey Jason,

Thanks a lot for following up.  I actually ended up discovering BitNami
( and installing a completely new Ruby stack to an EC2
instance and abandoning the whole CentOS physical server I was working
with.  I've not tried RedCloth again yet but I suspect it'll go much
this time since I'm now running with current code.

One lesson I've learned is that Ruby is very version sensitive - so best
to swim upstream against that.

Thanks for the help,

A26b53ba3cb9e745e5e48ea2fcd0d84d?d=identicon&s=25 "Peter Valdemar Mørch (Lists)" <4ux6as402@sneakema (Guest)
On 2011-01-24 00:47, Douglas Pearson |Lists/Send to
lists| wrote:
> One lesson I've learned is that Ruby is very version sensitive - so best
> not to swim upstream against that.

I've also had to learn this over and over with different projects. It
sucks and is the main reason I'm hesitant to use Ruby.