Forum: Ruby Library to read/write TAR files

E43fa2db92ccd3e721ac7c172915fe36?d=identicon&s=25 Michel Casabianca (Guest)
Hello,

I'm looking for a library to read/write TAR files. I've had a look on
RubyForge and searched for one on Google but found nothing (except an
old library that doesn't seem to be maintained anymore). Does anyone
know such a library?

Thanks
4db5dbdedcae4df2feca2f2d93330208?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Lutus (Guest)
Michel Casabianca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a library to read/write TAR files. I've had a look on
> RubyForge and searched for one on Google but found nothing (except an
> old library that doesn't seem to be maintained anymore). Does anyone
> know such a library?

Are you willing to make system calls? I ask because if you do it in pure
Ruby, it will not be very fast. Tar does quite a lot of intensive
processing, and if you try to integrate the compression schemes it uses,
all the more so.
6ea82eb4189671b3686ff8a81e6ec199?d=identicon&s=25 El Gato (el-gato)
on 2006-12-01 04:29
Michel Casabianca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a library to read/write TAR files. I've had a look on
> RubyForge and searched for one on Google but found nothing (except an
> old library that doesn't seem to be maintained anymore). Does anyone
> know such a library?
>
> Thanks

Do they have to be tar files, or can they be zips?

http://rubyzip.sourceforge.net/
Le 1 déc. 06 à 04:29, El Gato a écrit :

> Michel Casabianca wrote:
>> I'm looking for a library to read/write TAR files. I've had a look on
>> RubyForge and searched for one on Google but found nothing (except an
>> old library that doesn't seem to be maintained anymore). Does anyone
>> know such a library?
>
> Do they have to be tar files, or can they be zips?
>
> http://rubyzip.sourceforge.net/

I already generate zip files (and prefer this format over tar.gz),
but I want to be able to generate tar files in a system independant
way (that's why I don't call it using system).

Thanks
Ae36591847393e58ff189704f5eb18f2?d=identicon&s=25 Jeremy Hinegardner (Guest)
On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 06:30:12AM +0900, Michel Casabianca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a library to read/write TAR files. I've had a look on
> RubyForge and searched for one on Google but found nothing (except an
> old library that doesn't seem to be maintained anymore). Does anyone
> know such a library?

Archive::Tar::Minitar is what you're looking for I believe.  Its part of
the ruwiki project.

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruwiki/

% gem search --remote minitar
archive-tar-minitar (0.5.1, 0.5.0)
    Provides POSIX tarchive management from Ruby programs

And from the RDoc for it:

    Archive::Tar::Minitar is a pure-Ruby library and command-line
    utility that provides the ability to deal with POSIX tar(1) archive
    files.

I've used it several times with great success.

enjoy,

-jeremy
Le 3 déc. 06 à 19:19, Jeremy Hinegardner a écrit :

>     http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruwiki/
>     files.
>
> I've used it several times with great success.

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for!

> enjoy,

Believe me, I do!

Regards
31ab75f7ddda241830659630746cdd3a?d=identicon&s=25 Austin Ziegler (austin)
On 11/30/06, Michel Casabianca <michel.casabianca@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a library to read/write TAR files. I've had a look on
> RubyForge and searched for one on Google but found nothing (except an
> old library that doesn't seem to be maintained anymore). Does anyone
> know such a library?

Yes. Archive::Tar::Minitar. If I ever get TRUG hackathons going again,
we'll be moving forward on a libarchive port to Ruby.

What do you need?

-austin
Le 4 déc. 06 à 03:57, Austin Ziegler a écrit :
> On 11/30/06, Michel Casabianca <michel.casabianca@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a library to read/write TAR files. I've had a look on
>> RubyForge and searched for one on Google but found nothing (except an
>> old library that doesn't seem to be maintained anymore). Does anyone
>> know such a library?
>
> Yes. Archive::Tar::Minitar. If I ever get TRUG hackathons going again,
> we'll be moving forward on a libarchive port to Ruby.
>
> What do you need?

Minitar is exactly what I needed, thanks.

Regards
Existing account

No account? Register here.