Forum: Rails-core (closed, excessive spam) Some Love for acts_as_taggable

9d1f5d2d9de70bd9a934f557dc95a406?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel ----- (liquid)
Just wondering if someone from core can apply some of the patches to
acts_as_taggable.

I recently wanted to use this plugin in an app, and found it to be, in
DHH's
own word "half-baked"

I set about making some upgrades to it and then searched for patches.
Back
to front I know..  At least I know for next time ;)

Can someone from core take a look at these patches and apply or dismis
them
please.  There seem to be some reasonable patches in there now for it.

Cheers
Daniel
Efa76b164a7de4a5730e4fa397cc4425?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Koziarski (Guest)
On 11/27/06, Daniel N <has.sox@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering if someone from core can apply some of the patches to
> acts_as_taggable.
>
>  I recently wanted to use this plugin in an app, and found it to be, in
> DHH's own word "half-baked"

The plugin was intended as a demonstration of has_many :through,  I'm
not sure that adding more features gets us any closer to that goal.
As with other domain-intermingling plugins, it's unlikely to be able
to solve most people's problems without serious hackery.  Perhaps it's
best left as is, but with the documentation updated to make it clear
what the intention was.

--
Cheers

Koz
9d1f5d2d9de70bd9a934f557dc95a406?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel ----- (liquid)
> The plugin was intended as a demonstration of has_many :through,  I'm
> not sure that adding more features gets us any closer to that goal.
> As with other domain-intermingling plugins, it's unlikely to be able
> to solve most people's problems without serious hackery.  Perhaps it's
> best left as is, but with the documentation updated to make it clear
> what the intention was.

Most humbly, in my opinion to leave it the way it is would be a very
misleading demonstration of has_many :through

Presently, the plugin has an sql injection bug, uses a depricated
:destroy
option, does not make use of the available methodologies introduced in
Rails
1.2/edge, *(please see patches for more)* and is also barely functioning
for
what it claims to be.  To my mind this does not demonstrate what a great
feature has_many :through and ploymorphic joins are, and someone who's
just
looking may be very put off by this.

I know the core guys are busy, but if the plugin is going to be included
in
the rails svn, shouldn't it be as full featured and up to date as
possible?

There are a number of patches trying to do just this..

I am more than happy to contribute to see this progress.

Cheers
Daniel
631d1677786f0725da6ccee46043686e?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Viney (Guest)
I pretty much rewrote the acts_as_taggable plugin to include tests and a
bunch of other features.

http://svn.viney.net.nz/things/rails/plugins/acts_...

-Jonathan.
On 11/27/06, Jonathan Viney <jonathan.viney@gmail.com> wrote:

> I pretty much rewrote the acts_as_taggable plugin to include tests and a
> bunch of other features.
>
> http://svn.viney.net.nz/things/rails/plugins/acts_...
>
> -Jonathan.

Thanx for the link.... It looks like what I'm after.  I'll give it a
spin.