Forum: Rails Engines again plugins

B67f1094ad4e3716efd63ef1b8582c56?d=identicon&s=25 Hendy Irawan (Guest)
http://www.pluginaweek.org/2006/11/24/6-plugin_rou...

This is getting weirder. 99% of whetever written on that site is
applicable to Rails Engines. I mean, if you follow almost every
article there, but install Rails Engines instead of their plugins, I
think it just works.

For now, the difference seems that an "engine" needs to be "an engine"
(specially crafted). While in their version, all you need to do is
just create a plugin, follow some conventions (like putting stuff in
app/ subdirectory), and install the pluginaweek plugins (which are,
well, 6 plugins?)

When Engines can get rid of the "Engines.start" thingy and allows
easier creation of engines (i.e. not that much difference between
plugins and engines, just follow some simple conventions like
directory names)... how will Engines and pluginaweek matches? In my
mind Engines will be just
all-pluginaweek-plugins-built-inside-one-plugin or the other way
around. Weird.

--
Hendy Irawan
Web: http://hendy.gauldong.net
On 11/24/06, James Adam <james.adam@gmail.com> wrote:
> The 1.2 release will basically get rid of Engines.start, since Rails
> now includes a mechanism to control plugin loading order... hopefully
> that will stab the concept of 'installing an engine' in the heart, and
> everything will just be plugins again. Finally. It's only taken about
> a year :)
so, what will happen with engines plugin?
what will happen with pluginaweek?
are they gonna join forces?

this sounds more like KDE vs GNOME to me.