Forum: Ruby Rubyists of Second Life Meeting - JRuby by Charles O. Nutter

F57b98c757dbf8b9a8f259e8ec01a03b?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Stout (Guest)
Join us in the virtual world of Second Life and learn about JRuby!
Charles O. Nutter of JRuby fame will tell us what JRuby is all about.

JRuby is an 100% pure-Java implementation of the Ruby programming
language.

The Rubyists of Second Life hold regular meetings at the
Rubyists of Second Life HQ (courtesy of Joi Ito), Kula 3, coordinates
(198,
211, 21) on
the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month at 6:00 PM SL time ( prevailing
Pacific time )

More SL / RoSL info and links:

Second Life              http://secondlife.com
About Second Life:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life
RoSL Web Site:       http://rosl.iandb.net/
Forum:                    http://forums.secondcitizen.com/    ( look
under
Group Forums )
RubyForge:              http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyists-sl/
Imageboard:             http://jeschan.ath.cx:6528/jeschan/    ( /rosl/
)
RoSL SLurl:             http://slurl.com/secondlife/Kula%203/198/211/21/

So how do I attend the RoSL meeting?

  ( email starjunky@gmail.com if you need help getting to the meeting )

0 - If you've never used SL before, allow at least an hour before the
meeting to get setup

1 - verify your equipment meets the SL system requirements
     http://secondlife.com/corporate/sysreqs.php
     Warning - there is a large ( > 20 MB ) client download involved, SL
is
not browser based.

2 - create an SL account and an avatar. Basic membership is currently
free

3 - learn how to operate in SL by taking the guided tutorial at
Orientation
Island

4 - once established in SL, click Search, then Groups. Enter "ruby" as
the
search text
     You will then see "Rubyists of Second Life" in the list, click on
it,
then Join

5 - "Teleport" to the meeting area. The easiest way is to use the SLurl
listed above.
     When logged into SL:
     o open the SLurl link page in your browser, it will show a
"Teleport
Now" option.
     o click Teleport Now, causing the Map to open in the SL client,
pointed
at RoSL HQ.
     o click your heels twice, then hit the Map's Teleport button.

     Alternatively, on the day of the meeting, inside SL:
     o hit the Search button
     o choose the Events tab
     o change the Category pick-list to "Discussion"
     o click Search in the Search dialog, you should then see an entry
for
Rubyists of SL
     o click on the Rubyists of SL entry, more detail will appear.
     o click your heels twice, then hit the Teleport button

See you there!
On 10/6/06, Mark Stout <rmarkstout@gmail.com> wrote:
> Join us in the virtual world of Second Life and learn about JRuby!
> Charles O. Nutter of JRuby fame will tell us what JRuby is all about.

> not browser based.
Linux users need not apply. SIGH :-(

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
851acbab08553d1f7aa3eecad17f6aa9?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Bloom (Guest)
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 05:50:46 +0900, Rick DeNatale wrote:

>> meeting to get setup
>>
>> 1 - verify your equipment meets the SL system requirements
>>      http://secondlife.com/corporate/sysreqs.php
>>      Warning - there is a large ( > 20 MB ) client download involved, SL is
>> not browser based.
>
> Linux users need not apply. SIGH :-(

http://secondlife.com/community/linux-alpha.php
9b8f61f9c1867a2054c4ef34e677af0c?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Oliver Nutter (Guest)
Ken Bloom wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 05:50:46 +0900, Rick DeNatale wrote:
>> Linux users need not apply. SIGH :-(
>>

> http://secondlife.com/community/linux-alpha.php

...which actually works pretty well, so long as you don't need sound or
video.
72003cf388f6f7f95b433de3df9ccd38?d=identicon&s=25 Larrytheliquid (Guest)
To anyone that couldn't make this...you missed an amazing experience and
presentation. I never used Second Life and didn't know much about JRuby
prior to that meeting so it was a double whammy for me.

But don't get too depressed...I made a write-up! Plenty of outbound
links,
images, and talk so here ya go, and don't forget to Digg if you're
feeling
it =)
http://www.larrytheliquid.com/2006/10/29/jruby-of-...