Forum: Rails Engines Proper way to indicate dependencies?

Cca7816b30f720446b89c05acbd59480?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Fields (Guest)
I'm writing an engine for reuse that requires some other plugins -
what's the right way to indicate those dependencies? Obviously, since
there's no vendor directory under the engine, that code can't be
bundled with the engine itself.

				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ ]

[ ] ............ Blog
[ ].. Experience
[ ] ... Photos
[ ].............Wiki
The simplest way is just to check/install those plugins when
installing the engine -  see the install.rb in the login engine for an

Adding the information to the README is also a great idea.

- james
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
I seen a pretty cool hook in one of the engines I installed..

Create an install.rb file that contains something like the following.

# Install the engines plugin if it has been already
unless File.exist?(File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/../engines")

On 9/24/06, James Adam <> wrote:
> > what's the right way to indicate those dependencies? Obviously, since
> --
> * J *
>   ~

Nathaniel Steven Henry Brown