Forum: Ruby Crash Course on Speed for Ruby

Cfdeff3ac35010e4de8f85d954f24f4a?d=identicon&s=25 damphyr (Guest)
Well, we hold this once-a-month workshop at work to share knowledge
about various tools and methods we use and we usually have three hours
for a subject.
Since me and a couple of my colleagues have used Ruby extensively to the
benefit of our projects there is a growing interest about the language (
;) nothing like good, clean, working code that helps make the deadlines
when you want to attract attention ).
Now, I know that you can't teach someone Ruby in three hours, but the
audience is high calibre, experienced professionals with very good
theoretical and practical backgrounds, so we only need to provide a
highspeed hands-on tour of Ruby and let nature take it's course (anyone
ever thought that Ruby pulls programmers minds like a black hole pulls
matter? The closer you get the harder it gets to get away. And you need
to be very far away to have any hope of escaping :) )
So I'll stop rumbling and get to the question:
Anyone has some introductory hands-on material or any pointers on how we
could put together a three hour Ruby workshop?
I can't help but think that someone from those .rb teams out there has
already thought something up.
And before someone points me to the Quizes, yes I thought about them,
although I haven't yet found one that can serve as a good introductory
workshop example.
Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.braveworld.net/riva
784481e009179262d133db1f1eb3bfb1?d=identicon&s=25 Edwin Van leeuwen (blackedder)
damphyr wrote:
> Anyone has some introductory hands-on material or any pointers on how we
> could put together a three hour Ruby workshop?

There are some good presentations etc here:
http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby/
5da4c52f43677f395aff5bde775593c2?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Schierbeck (dasch)
Damphyr wrote:
> highspeed hands-on tour of Ruby and let nature take it's course (anyone
> workshop example.
> Cheers,
> V.-

http://johnwlong.com/slides/gettothepoint/index.html

Though you better ask for permission first :)

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
>> audience is high calibre, experienced professionals with very good
>> And before someone points me to the Quizes, yes I thought about them,
>> although I haven't yet found one that can serve as a good introductory
>> workshop example.
>> Cheers,
>> V.-
>>

> http://johnwlong.com/slides/gettothepoint/index.html
>
> Though you better ask for permission first :)
Niaghhhhh, I get the urge to strangle DHH sometimes :).
As much as I like Rails I haven't written a single line of Ruby code
using it (and I scored a decent 47 with the ruby score script ;) ) and I
don't feel good about the latest trend of sticking with Rails examples
whenever introducing Ruby.
Notice: the above presentation might just as well be a presentation
about Rails (it looks like that anyway). It's just that lately I find
myself having to explain that Ruby is a *lot* more than Rails and hence
the urge to strangle DHH :).

That said, if I decided using the slides I'd take the first 16 and use
Rake or Rant for a DSL example since that applies more to my line of
work :).

Cheers,
V.-
--
http://www.braveworld.net/riva
4a51c1e5e3b4827c165a4ac9f4512740?d=identicon&s=25 achim.domma (Guest)
>> http://johnwlong.com/slides/gettothepoint/index.html

I just come over this thread an had a look at the slides. Could someboy
tell me which software was used to create these slides?

regards,
Achim
10d9ed7ab11115b081bb36f56a7a13bc?d=identicon&s=25 johnwilger (Guest)
On 11/21/05, Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH) <achim.domma@syynx.de>
wrote:
> >> http://johnwlong.com/slides/gettothepoint/index.html
>
> I just come over this thread an had a look at the slides. Could someboy
> tell me which software was used to create these slides?

+1

Wasn't any identifier in the code, so perhaps it's a custom job -- but
those really are nice looking slides.

--
Regards,
John Wilger
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, John Wilger wrote:

>> I just come over this thread an had a look at the slides. Could someboy
>> tell me which software was used to create these slides?
>
> +1
>
> Wasn't any identifier in the code, so perhaps it's a custom job -- but
> those really are nice looking slides.

perhaps magickpoint or ooffice.

> "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
> - Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

-a
C790b4ab9b635570f83dd27fd6991911?d=identicon&s=25 kvanderauwera (Guest)
I suppose it could have been build using S5
(http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/).
Fcc5cdf0f0f3e1a3a39c11ed4bf8d5e5?d=identicon&s=25 d454d (Guest)
* Koen Van der Auwera <kvanderauwera@gmail.com> [051121 16:35]:
> I suppose it could have been build using S5
> (http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/).

Great! That's the link of the day! I was looking for this kind of
presentation tool for quite some time.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Steph.