Forum: Ruby Create dynamic tests for Test::Unit

4a51c1e5e3b4827c165a4ac9f4512740?d=identicon&s=25 achim.domma (Guest)

I have some experiences in generic programming in python and .Net but
I'm quite new to ruby. I want to test a web app using watir. There are
many forms with similar structure which have to be filled with data. So
my idea was to create a YAML file which holds the location of a form,
the type of the form and the data to be filled in.

My problem is, that I don't see on how to create dynamicaly a single
test for each entry in the yaml file!? Am I not yet thinking in ruby?
Could somebody guide me to the right direction on how to solve this
task?

regards,
Achim
93d566cc26b230c553c197c4cd8ac6e4?d=identicon&s=25 pit (Guest)
Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH) schrieb:
> I have some experiences in generic programming in python and .Net but
> I'm quite new to ruby. I want to test a web app using watir. There are
> many forms with similar structure which have to be filled with data. So
> my idea was to create a YAML file which holds the location of a form,
> the type of the form and the data to be filled in.
>
> My problem is, that I don't see on how to create dynamicaly a single
> test for each entry in the yaml file!? Am I not yet thinking in ruby?
> Could somebody guide me to the right direction on how to solve this task?

Hallo Achim,

maybe this example gets you going:

   require "test/unit"

   DynamicTest = Struct.new :name, :expected, :actual

   DYNAMIC_TESTS = [
     DynamicTest.new( "test_one", 123, 123 ),
     DynamicTest.new( "test_two", 125, 123 ),
     DynamicTest.new( "test_three", 127, 127 ),
   ]

   Class.new Test::Unit::TestCase do
     DYNAMIC_TESTS.each do |t|
       define_method t.name do
         assert_equal t.expected, t.actual

Running this, I get

   Loaded suite C:/tmp/r
   Started
   ..F
   Finished in 0.047 seconds.

     1) Failure:
   test_two()
       [C:/tmp/r.rb:15:in `test_two'
        C:/tmp/r.rb:14:in `test_two']:
   <125> expected but was
   <123>.

Regards,
Pit
Pit Capitain wrote:

> maybe this example gets you going:

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Seems like I have to learn much
more ruby! ;-)

regards,
Achim