Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails mailing list <-> web forum gateway

40d29f4725ff04ff0d69ccea0bcbdc11?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2005-11-12 16:07
Hi all,

I have set up a web forum â?? mailing list gateway for the Rails mailing
list:

http://rforum-demo.andreas-s.net/

It's still experimental, but seems to work well so far. New mails from
the list are imported every 5 minutes, posts created in the forum are
sent to the list immediately.

To make sure that your posts make it to the mailing list, please create
an account before posting.

Andreas
codeslush (Guest)
Andreas,

I like your site!!!  What did you use to import the emails?

Michael
codeslush (Guest)
Andreas,

BTW, I really, really like this!  :-)  In my opinion, this is something
that was needed by the community - and it better than me scanning
through my inbox all the time!

If you added a few things, this would be killer.  Do you mind my input?
I hope not!

Users:  Select a user.  Put an option there to see all posts by that
user!  Maybe also put profile info, like how long they have been a
member, total posts, etc...

Search:  Allow search by forum instead of complete search.

If I'm a registered user AND I am logged in, show me a list of posts
that are new since my last login.

On the main page, show the most recent 10 items from each forum that
have been updated/created.

On the main page, show the most popular (i.e. most viewed, most replies,
etc..)

Then, host this thing somewhere solid and have a direct link from the
ROR documentation/community site.

As a bonus - if we had categories for the posts then all the better!
i.e. Engines, Components, ActiveRecord, etc...  Perhaps this isn't
possible (w/o admin overhead) from the main mailing list, but I can only
imagine that a forum like this would become quite popular and people
making posts directly on the forum would have the option of putting them
in the right category/sub forum.

Excellent work!

Michael
40d29f4725ff04ff0d69ccea0bcbdc11?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2005-11-12 18:20
codeslush@yahoo.com wrote:
> What did you use to import the emails?

The mailing list connectivity is contained in the latest version of
RForum (http://rforum.andreas-s.net, not yet released).

> Users:  Select a user.  Put an option there to see all posts by that
> user!  Maybe also put profile info, like how long they have been a
> member, total posts, etc...

This already works for users who post from the web forum. Example:
http://rforum-demo.andreas-s.net/user/show/1

> Search:  Allow search by forum instead of complete search.

I'm working on that right now.

> If I'm a registered user AND I am logged in, show me a list of posts
> that are new since my last login.

Topics with unread posts are displayed bold in the topics list when you
are logged in. I plan to add a feature that you will automatically be
directed to the first new post in the topic when you click on a topic
that contains new posts.

> On the main page, show the most recent 10 items from each forum that
> have been updated/created.
>
> On the main page, show the most popular (i.e. most viewed, most replies,
> etc..)
>
> Then, host this thing somewhere solid and have a direct link from the
> ROR documentation/community site.

I'm going to do this as soon as possible.

> As a bonus - if we had categories for the posts then all the better!
> i.e. Engines, Components, ActiveRecord, etc...  Perhaps this isn't
> possible (w/o admin overhead) from the main mailing list, but I can only
> imagine that a forum like this would become quite popular and people
> making posts directly on the forum would have the option of putting them
> in the right category/sub forum.

Tagging a lot of other features are planned and will be implemented as
soon as I have time.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Andreas
9eb736bfb70e854ac5410956b37a653b?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew B. (matthewmurcia)
on 2005-11-12 18:24
Andreas, this is a great invention. Beats mailing lists hands down in my
opinion. I participate in the spanish mailing list and set up a VB forum
because I find it much easier to read and use than the list. When I get
my main site ported to rails then I could definitely use something like
this for the forum bit. I really like it.
40d29f4725ff04ff0d69ccea0bcbdc11?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2005-11-12 20:49
andreas wrote:
> codeslush@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Search:  Allow search by forum instead of complete search.
>
> I'm working on that right now.

This is now implemented.

>> If I'm a registered user AND I am logged in, show me a list of posts
>> that are new since my last login.
>
> Topics with unread posts are displayed bold in the topics list when you
> are logged in. I plan to add a feature that you will automatically be
> directed to the first new post in the topic when you click on a topic
> that contains new posts.

This too.
steve (Guest)
On Nov 12, 2005, at 8:51 AM, Michael wrote:

> it better than me scanning through my inbox all the time

This statement makes me think you aren't using a mail reader that
supports threading?  Nobody really reads a mailing list like that do
they?

--Steve
steve (Guest)
On Nov 12, 2005, at 7:07 AM, andreas@andreas-s.net wrote:

> I have set up a web forum â?? mailing list gateway for the Rails
> mailing
> list

Hi Andreas,

Are you using the References: header to do your threading?

Thanks,
Steve
40d29f4725ff04ff0d69ccea0bcbdc11?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2005-11-12 21:17
steve@waits.net wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2005, at 7:07 AM, andreas@andreas-s.net wrote:
>
>> I have set up a web forum â?? mailing list gateway for the Rails
>> mailing
>> list
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Are you using the References: header to do your threading?

Hi,

I am using the References header, and In-Reply-To as fallback.

Andreas
8493b7fca6ae697dfc7fe7d1aa4a3125?d=identicon&s=25 Jake J. (janovetz)
on 2005-11-12 21:25
andreas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have set up a web forum â?? mailing list gateway for the Rails mailing
> list:

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

My Delete key was starting to wear through from all the traffic on this
list.  I vastly prefer forums.

   Jake
steve (Guest)
On Nov 12, 2005, at 12:17 PM, andreas@andreas-s.net wrote:

> I am using the References header, and In-Reply-To as fallback

Perfect.

--Steve