Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Two things on documentation

3807680355002d0d5e8314a97333587e?d=identicon&s=25 Nikolai Weibull (Guest)
1. I would like for my GLib::File documentation to be put on the
homepage.  It’s been almost two months now.
2. I am sick and tired of seeing Internal Server Error when I try to
browse the documentation.

Is anyone beside me actually using Ruby-GNOME2 anymore?

In <AANLkTi=s+Sij5=WjbtNmc0yOZDHTytQeKJWcQH1dwrDw@mail.gmail.com>
  "[ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Two things on documentation" on Wed, 22 Dec
2010 15:33:34 +0100,
  Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> wrote:

> 1. I would like for my GLib::File documentation to be put on the
> homepage.  Its been almost two months now.

Umm, could you show us what is your problem?
I think that you can edit the Ruby-GNOME2 Wiki directly.

> 2. I am sick and tired of seeing Internal Server Error when I try to
> browse the documentation.

Sorry... Do you have any idea to resolve the problem?

> Is anyone beside me actually using Ruby-GNOME2 anymore?

I'm sorry for your inconvenience...

--
kou
3807680355002d0d5e8314a97333587e?d=identicon&s=25 Nikolai Weibull (Guest)
>  Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> wrote:

>> 1. I would like for my GLib::File documentation to be put on the
>> homepage.  It’s been almost two months now.

> Umm, could you show us what is your problem?
> I think that you can edit the Ruby-GNOME2 Wiki directly.

https://github.com/ruby-gnome2/doc/pulls

Sorry for the exaggeration.  it seems that it’s only been one and a half
month.

>> 2. I am sick and tired of seeing Internal Server Error when I try to
>> browse the documentation.

> Sorry... Do you have any idea to resolve the problem?

No.  Am I the only one experiencing it?  Otherwise I would file a
support request with sourceforge.jp asking them to adjust the set-up.
I’m guessing that the problem is due to the requests taking too long
to process, perhaps as a result of Ruby not responding fast enough.  I
don’t know how the Wiki is set up, but if this can’t be resolved I
feel that there’s little point in continuing to use this solution.

>> Is anyone beside me actually using Ruby-GNOME2 anymore?

> I'm sorry for your inconvenience...

It’s not your fault, but it makes me sad that no one seems to take an
interest in it anymore.  I’m not mainly talking about us developers,
but users.  Perhaps if we rename the project “Ruby on GNOME2” (like
Ruby on Rails, if my joke wasn’t clear) people will come.
820308d5db420d7f0e1d0ba97e09f520?d=identicon&s=25 Grant McLean (Guest)
On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 15:33 +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> 2. I am sick and tired of seeing Internal Server Error when I try to
> browse the documentation.
>
> Is anyone beside me actually using Ruby-GNOME2 anymore?

Yes, I am using Ruby-GNOME2 and yes I have experienced the same issues
as you with the wiki pages giving errors rather than the documentation.
I found that if I get an error response then leaving that browser tab
open and hitting refresh after a minute or two gives the correct result.
So as you suggest it seems that some part of the wiki page rendering
process is taking too long.

Regards
Grant
C4a836af7263f84a4f7cc91ed6f3ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Carmona (vinc-mai)
2010/12/22 Grant McLean <grant@mclean.net.nz>:
> On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 15:33 +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
>> 2. I am sick and tired of seeing Internal Server Error when I try to
>> browse the documentation.
>>
>> Is anyone beside me actually using Ruby-GNOME2 anymore?

I also experience the Internal Server Error and I still use ruby-gnome2.

--
Vincent Carmona

In <AANLkTi=8UyJ3t0kbVUs4rM1N87VN07WHHu8FX3qkUZxb@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Two things on documentation" on Wed, 22
Dec 2010 16:47:05 +0100,
  Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> wrote:

> 2010/12/22 Kouhei Sutou <kou@cozmixng.org>:
>> Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> wrote:
>
>>> 1. I would like for my GLib::File documentation to be put on the
>>> homepage. Its been almost two months now.
>
>> Umm, could you show us what is your problem?
>> I think that you can edit the Ruby-GNOME2 Wiki directly.
>
> https://github.com/ruby-gnome2/doc/pulls

I'm so sorry... I missed it...
I'll pull it but please wait a few weeks. I can't work on
Ruby-GNOME2 for a few weeks...

kou

In <AANLkTi=8UyJ3t0kbVUs4rM1N87VN07WHHu8FX3qkUZxb@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Two things on documentation" on Wed, 22
Dec 2010 16:47:05 +0100,
  Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> wrote:

> Sorry for the exaggeration.  it seems that its only been one and a half month.

I've merged and pushed it to ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp.
Thanks!!! and sorry for my late response...

> feel that theres little point in continuing to use this solution.
I understand sf.jp is too poor response when I checked
uploaded your documents.

OK. We need to move to other hosting service that has more
fast response. But where? Heroku? (Hiki is CGI or Rack
application.)

kou
3807680355002d0d5e8314a97333587e?d=identicon&s=25 Nikolai Weibull (Guest)

>  Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> wrote:

>> https://github.com/ruby-gnome2/doc/pulls

> I've merged and pushed it to ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp.
> Thanks!!! and sorry for my late response...

I've added a front page:

http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby%2FGIO

There are some bugs in the documentation syntax and some broken links,
but I don't have time to fix them right now.  I'll fix them soon.

Also, it seems that the import didn't import the UTF-8 contained in
the documents correctly.  Is this easily corrected?  See, for example,

http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?GLib%3A%3AFile

> I understand sf.jp is too poor response when I checked
> uploaded your documents.
>
> OK. We need to move to other hosting service that has more
> fast response. But where? Heroku? (Hiki is CGI or Rack
> application.)

Hm.  I have no good suggestion.  One solution would be to convert it
to a GitHub Wiki, see

https://github.com/blog/699-making-github-more-ope...

but that would require some work in writing a script to convert the
Hiki syntax to Markdown.  It would, however, place less work on us in
the long run, as GitHub manages all the other functionality.
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 21:47, Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> wrote:

> 2010/12/27 Kouhei Sutou <kou@cozmixng.org>:

> Hiki syntax to Markdown.  It would, however, place less work on us in
> the long run, as GitHub manages all the other functionality.

So, what’s your take on this?

I am willing to help out, but under current conditions I feel that
working with Ruby-GNOME2 is both pointless and frustrating.  Pointless
because no one seems to care about Ruby-GNOME2 and frustrating because
I’ve invested so much time into it and there’s no active discussion on
this mailing list and management doesn’t seem to have enough time to
manage and important topics just linger indefinitely without anyone
making any decisions.

Kouhei, I realize that you manage Ruby-GNOME2 in your spare time, but
the current amount of time you have available just doesn’t seem to be
enough.  What are your near term plans for Ruby-GNOME2?  What are your
long term plans?  Are you going to be devoting more time in the
future?

Anyway, I suggest that we move to GitHub as soon as possible.  We do
this by writing a script that converts the current Hiki syntax to
Markdown.  That shouldn’t be too difficult.  The one problem I see is
the automatic linking of methods in text to their definition, but it
should be solvable.

We drop all languages except English.  Looking at the dates of the
most recent updates to the other languages, no one cares about
anything except English (though no one seems to care very much for
English either).

We need more people to take an interest in Ruby-GNOME2 if it’s going
to survive.  This requires us to have a place where people can go to
become interested.

In <AANLkTikbYChGWDPwDh7D03g_hEE0oPEtQirjvtqBfyBc@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Two things on documentation" on Fri, 7 Jan
2011 15:01:39 +0100,
  Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> wrote:

>> https://github.com/blog/699-making-github-more-ope...
>>
>> but that would require some work in writing a script to convert the
>> Hiki syntax to Markdown. It would, however, place less work on us in
>> the long run, as GitHub manages all the other functionality.
>
> So, whats your take on this?

I don't think it's good idea but I don't say strong "no"
because I don't have time for it as you say.

> I am willing to help out, but under current conditions I feel that
> working with Ruby-GNOME2 is both pointless and frustrating.  Pointless
> because no one seems to care about Ruby-GNOME2 and frustrating because
> Ive invested so much time into it and theres no active discussion on
> this mailing list and management doesnt seem to have enough time to
> manage and important topics just linger indefinitely without anyone
> making any decisions.

I'm sorry for your invenience.

> Kouhei, I realize that you manage Ruby-GNOME2 in your spare time, but
> the current amount of time you have available just doesnt seem to be
> enough.  What are your near term plans for Ruby-GNOME2?  What are your
> long term plans?  Are you going to be devoting more time in the
> future?

Near term plan: We releae Ruby-GNOME2 1.0.0. It requires gem
                support for all packages.
Long term plan: We support GTK+ 3.

> Anyway, I suggest that we move to GitHub as soon as possible.  We do
> this by writing a script that converts the current Hiki syntax to
> Markdown.  That shouldnt be too difficult.  The one problem I see is
> the automatic linking of methods in text to their definition, but it
> should be solvable.

We have some things to do for moving our repository. It don'
just require Subversion to git migration. e.g. We have
release script that packages, uploads, announces and tags a
new release. We need to migrate it too. I can't list all
works about our reposity migration but other works will
exist.

If you can do those works I will say "we move to GitHub.".
Could you do it? If your answer is yes, I'll add you to
Ruby-GNOME2 organizer on GitHub.

> We drop all languages except English.  Looking at the dates of the
> most recent updates to the other languages, no one cares about
> anything except English (though no one seems to care very much for
> English either).

I can't complain.

kou
8616a8bf5c9ac0db67ac26f89d3b06b6?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Charlton (Guest)
Hmmm... I don't really agree with Nikolai, but since
I don't do any development on Ruby-Gnome2 I can
hardly complain.  I feel like I should help, but I have
a hard enough time just working on my own application.

It is true that Ruby-Gnome2 is not very popular. But then
what other GUI libraries are more popular?  Ruby itself
is not popular for writing desktop applications.  I started
using Ruby-Gnome2 because I already knew GTK+ (and
in fact, GTK+ is the only thing my application needs).
But more and more I need to distribute my application on
Windows and Mac.  It is not easy to do this with Ruby-Gnome2.
So I started looking at other GUI toolkits.  I can't see
any other toolkit that is substantially better or more popular.

We can say that development isn't fast enough.  We can
say that we don't have enough time to do what we want.
But until Ruby itself is more popular for desktop
applications, we aren't going to get any more developers.
What we have is what we have.

So my advice is to reduce the scope of development.
I only use GTK+ so I am biased.  But I don't think
we need to do everything.  Dropping language support
is a good idea.  Dropping other things might make
life easier too.  If you have too many things to do, then
usually it's best to stop doing so many things rather than
trying to do things faster.

       My 2 cents,
          MikeC
3807680355002d0d5e8314a97333587e?d=identicon&s=25 Nikolai Weibull (Guest)
2010/12/27 Kouhei Sutou <kou@cozmixng.org>:

> I understand sf.jp is too poor response when I checked
> uploaded your documents.
>
> OK. We need to move to other hosting service that has more
> fast response. But where? Heroku? (Hiki is CGI or Rack
> application.)

How about moving back to sf.net?  I just checked it out and it seems
that they support Ruby now:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Project web

It could be worth a try.  Sf.jp seems to be getting worse.
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 23:36, Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> wrote:
> that they support Ruby now:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Project web
>
> It could be worth a try.  Sf.jp seems to be getting worse.

Kouhei, what do you think about this?  Is it viable?
8e6374c0ef7b66942f34798e31edf014?d=identicon&s=25 "Dobai-Pataky Bálint" <dpblnt@gmail.com> (Guest)

I do not know how the API documentation and the hiki are maintained
currently,
but how about keeping the API docs in rdoc? That way the API docs could
be distributed with the gems, rbbr would always be up to date, and an
API documentation web page could be generated(even daily).
The rest of the current page(tricks, howtos, recommended behaviors)
could be kept in a wiki.
Would that be a too harsh turn?

Regards,
Balint

Sorry for my late response.

In <AANLkTi=9JdupNKjjMuAiUMG0C16X25za=gKRF=843iyG@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Two things on documentation" on Wed, 16
Feb 2011 16:41:29 +0100,
  Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> wrote:

>> How about moving back to sf.net? I just checked it out and it seems
>> that they support Ruby now:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Project web
>>
>> It could be worth a try. Sf.jp seems to be getting worse.
>
> Kouhei, what do you think about this?  Is it viable?

I don't know that it solve the problem because I don't know
SF.net's Web server spec. At least SF.net's shell service is
slow...

I'm thinking about a solution. It is that we convert Hiki
CGI to static HTMLs and serves only statis HTMLs. It will
improve performance but we can't edit documents from Web.

kou

In <4D5BF3D1.7040705@gmail.com>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Two things on documentation" on Wed, 16
Feb 2011 17:57:05 +0200,
  Dobai-Pataky Blint <dpblnt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not know how the API documentation and the hiki are maintained currently,
> but how about keeping the API docs in rdoc? That way the API docs could be
> distributed with the gems, rbbr would always be up to date, and an API
> documentation web page could be generated(even daily).
> The rest of the current page(tricks, howtos, recommended behaviors) could be
> kept in a wiki.
> Would that be a too harsh turn?

Masaaki Aoyagi is suggesting that we convert the API
documentation to YARD (*) (not RDoc). If he creates a convert
script and possible migration steps, we will use YARD.

(*) http://yardoc.org/

kou
3807680355002d0d5e8314a97333587e?d=identicon&s=25 Nikolai Weibull (Guest)
Hi!

Thank you for your response.

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 13:25, Kouhei Sutou <kou@cozmixng.org> wrote:

> I don't know that it solve the problem because I don't know
> SF.net's Web server spec. At least SF.net's shell service is
> slow...
>
> I'm thinking about a solution. It is that we convert Hiki
> CGI to static HTMLs and serves only statis HTMLs. It will
> improve performance but we can't edit documents from Web.

OK, that's one solution that would help.

Something that would be better in the long run, but requires a lot of
work, is implementing Balint's suggestion.  If we move the
documentation to the .c files and statically generate them we can both
put them on the web and easily distribute them with the gems.  It
would also be a lot easier to document new functionality, as it would
all be in one place.

In <AANLkTi=kXjruORZTUGsO-urTe4sQAA4hDPGzYtJ2+UvF@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Two things on documentation" on Thu, 17
Feb 2011 13:33:22 +0100,
  Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> wrote:

> OK, that's one solution that would help.
>
> Something that would be better in the long run, but requires a lot of
> work, is implementing Balint's suggestion.  If we move the
> documentation to the .c files and statically generate them we can both
> put them on the web and easily distribute them with the gems.  It
> would also be a lot easier to document new functionality, as it would
> all be in one place.

I know that the solution I'm thinking is just a workaround.
We need a easy to maintain documentation system. Balint's
suggestion, Masaaki Aoyagi's suggestion or your suggestion
will be good candidates. We need not only a suggestion but
also migration steps.

kou
> Is anyone beside me actually using Ruby-GNOME2 anymore?

Yes, I am still using it and I like Gtk/Gnome (and I still love Ruby)

:)

My problem is, I don't know much about C so I can not help with coding
in C.

I do know Ruby and I can try to help a little bit here and there with
documentation on the website (kou gave me the password a few years ago)

If anyone needs something you can also send me an email to
<shevegen@linuxmail.org> - I check it frequently.

GTK 3 looks really great, I love the syntax for CSS-like support. I hope
that Ruby-Gnome can continue, I want to use Ruby and not Python. :)

The Toolkits seem to struggle in general right now - FOX/FXRuby is dead,
Qt has the problem with Nokia.

Resources are scarce but I want to say that I always loved the
documentation of the ruby-gnome project. It helped me a LOT build a
small widget base which I use locally in various of my projects.

Good documentation is very important. I can try to help with
documentation.
Eed8337939641eac5ad0b570bd6acf96?d=identicon&s=25 marcin@saepia.net (Guest)
We use ruby/gnome2 to build all the broadcasting systems in my radio.

I can't imagine life without it!

m.

2011/2/20 Marc Heiler <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:
7f28f9db46bfe8e9b8b5fcd90b2f1302?d=identicon&s=25 J. K. (j_k)
on 2011-02-23 01:51
hey all -

  another big cheer for ruby-gnome2...  wish i could help, but i sadly
don't have the C (or much of any other programming but ruby) know-how.
what i can offer is a huge "thank you" to all of you that are working on
documentation, and hopefully some inspiration to continue.  there ARE
people using it, and we really appreciate your effort....

  keep up the good work!

  thanks again -

  -jk
0ba24936d4623492f1bbda10a072f2f0?d=identicon&s=25 Brad M. (brad_m77)
on 2011-06-04 22:00
I use ruby-gmone2 and love it
How ever a language is ONLY as good as it's documentation!
The Documentation is almost unusable which reflects poorly on a great
project.

Instead of complaining I am willing to help out.
I have a server I am willing to mirror the documentation on until
another solution is found.

Thanks
  Brad
Existing account