Forum: Inkscape did you get donation?

19ef9d4bc09472b688ea8b0698f2cd24?d=identicon&s=25 Benjamin Huot (Guest)
Thanks for the Mac Intel version. I sent you a monetary thank you
through Sourceforge. It looks like it went through, but I would like
confirmation that you can access it. Paypal didn't list it as going to
Inkscape specifically unlike the Gimp project does when you send money
to Gnome for Gimp. It does list me on the page of contributors to
Inkscape under benhuot.

Fully trained technicians. The highest number of Red Hat certifications
in
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=107521...
979333bd98940bb1d40aefb1820fcfa9?d=identicon&s=25 Bryce Harrington (Guest)
On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:01:26AM -0700, Benjamin Huot wrote:
> Thanks for the Mac Intel version. I sent you a monetary thank you
> through Sourceforge. It looks like it went through, but I would like
> confirmation that you can access it. Paypal didn't list it as going to
> Inkscape specifically unlike the Gimp project does when you send money
> to Gnome for Gimp. It does list me on the page of contributors to
> Inkscape under benhuot.

I think it takes a day or two for donations to go through, and I see you
listed on the http://sf.net/projects/inkscape/ page so all is probably
good.

For the record, here are the donations we've received since we set up
the account:

 Jun. 1, 2006     $18.06 USD
 Jun. 1, 2006      $8.38 USD
 May 23, 2006      $8.38 USD
 Mar. 27, 2006     $3.54 USD
 Mar. 3, 2006     $18.06 USD
 Feb. 27, 2006     $3.59 USD
 Feb. 18, 2006  $2000.00 USD    Transfer From Bank Account (Google SOC)
 Feb. 13, 2006     $8.48 USD
 Feb. 13, 2006    $18.26 USD
 Feb. 8, 2006      $3.59 USD
 Jan. 2, 2006     $18.06 USD
 Jan. 2, 2006      $8.38 USD
 Nov. 17, 2005     $3.54 USD
 Oct. 20, 2005     $3.59 USD
 Sep. 23, 2005     $8.48 USD
 Aug. 29, 2005     $8.38 USD
 Jul. 4, 2005     $18.06 USD
 Jun. 7, 2005    $354.52 USD    From Bryce Harrington + anonymous
 Total:

Note that the odd numbers are due to paypal and sourceforge taking
cuts.  SourceForge takes $1.00 per donation, and PayPal takes a
percentage.  So generally just add $1 and round up to figure out what
the original donation amount was.

Hopefully everyone that's made a donation (thank you!!) can spot the
corresponding entry in the above list.  If not, and it's been more than
a few days, you may want to contact SourceForge about it.  I'd expect
this to be highly unusual though...

Also, I just received word today from the Software Freedom Conservancy
(http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/) that they have accepted
Inkscape's application to join them.

This means that once the paperwork is done, donations to Inkscape will
henceforth be tax-deductable, and Inkscape will exist as a legal,
non-profit entity.  More info about this is available here:

    http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/?overview

Bryce

Fully trained technicians. The highest number of Red Hat certifications
in
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=107521...
543d0c0e25f9a72a7bd129c637f0d96a?d=identicon&s=25 Ted Gould (Guest)
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Also, I just received word today from the Software Freedom Conservancy
> (http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/) that they have accepted
> Inkscape's application to join them.
>
> This means that once the paperwork is done, donations to Inkscape will
> henceforth be tax-deductable, and Inkscape will exist as a legal,
> non-profit entity.  More info about this is available here:
>
>    http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/?overview

That's great.  I had kinda looked into doing this on our own, and it was
well, more difficult than I wanted.

BTW:

"The Software Freedom Conservancy is in the process of applying for
tax-exempt status, which would apply retroactively to donations made
before that status is conferred. Donations made today are not tax
deductible, but upon receipt of tax-exempt status they would
retroactively
become deductable."

So, don't count on tax deductions right away.

Also, from my understanding (talk to your tax advisor) you should be
able
to deduct travel that is directly associated with helping a non-profit
on
your US taxes.  So, if you want to the Libre Graphics conference for the
purpose of working on Inkscape, you could deduct the expenses.  Again,
check with your tax advisor.

When this goes through, I think we should look into trademarking the
name
and logo.  Would they also become the holder of the domain name?  I
worry
about Mental getting hit by a bus, and he won't move to the middle of
the
desert ;)

 		--Ted

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 03:40:30PM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:

> So, don't count on tax deductions right away.

That page may be out of date; many of the rules relate to avoiding
things that would jeopardize the tax exempt status, so I'm assuming this
is either in place or soon shall be.

> Also, from my understanding (talk to your tax advisor) you should be able
> to deduct travel that is directly associated with helping a non-profit on
> your US taxes.  So, if you want to the Libre Graphics conference for the
> purpose of working on Inkscape, you could deduct the expenses.  Again,
> check with your tax advisor.

Thanks, good call.  I wonder of hotel expenses would qualify as well?

> When this goes through, I think we should look into trademarking the name
> and logo.  Would they also become the holder of the domain name?  I worry
> about Mental getting hit by a bus, and he won't move to the middle of the
> desert ;)

It sounds like they can do these things, as well as also holding
copyright assignments if we want to (so we could list files as
copyrighted by Inkscape).  It sounds like we can arrange these things
later once the basics are in place, so we've got plenty of time to
discuss how we want to make use of this.

Bryce

Fully trained technicians. The highest number of Red Hat certifications
in
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=107521...
E73df93f2fa8b2d6cfa7f2150dcd6306?d=identicon&s=25 Abrolag (Guest)
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:22:12 -0700
Bryce Harrington <bryce@bryceharrington.org> wrote:

> > >    http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/?overview
> > become deductable."
> > purpose of working on Inkscape, you could deduct the expenses.  Again,
> copyright assignments if we want to (so we could list files as
> copyrighted by Inkscape).  It sounds like we can arrange these things
> later once the basics are in place, so we've got plenty of time to
> discuss how we want to make use of this.
>
> Bryce

All really good news.

... Reminder to self: absolutely MUST dip hand in pocket soon!

--
W J G

Fully trained technicians. The highest number of Red Hat certifications
in
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=107521...
E76d6fb1ee928469c4dd4f4ef61a46b7?d=identicon&s=25 Alan Horkan (Guest)
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Ted Gould wrote:

> > (http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/) that they have accepted
> > Inkscape's application to join them.
> >
> > This means that once the paperwork is done, donations to Inkscape will
> > henceforth be tax-deductable, and Inkscape will exist as a legal,
> > non-profit entity.  More info about this is available here:
> >
> >    http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/?overview
>
> That's great.  I had kinda looked into doing this on our own, and it was
> well, more difficult than I wanted.

In case anyone is interested The GNU Image Manipulation Program
investigated setting up as their own non-profit but in the end did some
thing similar to this Conversevancy group through the GNOME Foundation.
This group does seem well setup to take donations for lots of smaller
subgroups and I dont think the Foundation is actively looking to manage
finance for lots and lots of smaller subgroups.  I see Wine is already
signed up and all it all looks fairly good.

--
Alan

security?
easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache
Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709...
Existing account

No account? Register here.