Forum: Ruby on Rails Lost Connection to MySQL

Felix Bearden (Guest)
Error Message: MyMysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during
query:
SHOW FIELDS FROM products

Running Fedora 5, using available Red Hat modules and latest version of
Rails.

This problem just appeared. I had been enjoying going through the
tutorial "Depot"
when it started displaying this problem.  With phpMyAdmin I am able to
access the
depot_development data base containing entries that I had used the depot
application to display, enter, and edit with no problems earlier. The
only
application that still works is the non data base application "Hello
from Rail"
The dump follows.

Hope someone can help.

  ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid in AdminController#index

Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query: SHOW FIELDS
FROM products

|RAILS_ROOT: script/../config/..|

Application Trace <http://192.168.1.102:3000/admin#> | Framework Trace
<http://192.168.1.102:3000/admin#> | Full Trace
<http://192.168.1.102:3000/admin#>

|/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:120:in
`log'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:185:in
`execute'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:293:in
`columns'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/base.rb:696:in
`columns'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/calculations.rb:213:in
`column_for'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/calculations.rb:135:in
`calculate'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/calculations.rb:64:in
`count'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.1/lib/action_controller/pagination.rb:172:in
`count_collection_for_pagination'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.1/lib/action_controller/pagination.rb:196:in
`paginator_and_collection_for'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.1/lib/action_controller/pagination.rb:129:in
`paginate'
#{RAILS_ROOT}/app/controllers/admin_controller.rb:8:in `list'
#{RAILS_ROOT}/app/controllers/admin_controller.rb:3:in `index'|
Philip Hallstrom (Guest)
> application to display, enter, and edit with no problems earlier. The only
> application that still works is the non data base application "Hello from
> Rail" The dump follows.
>
> Hope someone can help.

This might help...

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html

-philip
Felix Bearden (Guest)
Thanks for the response.

Because I am not experiencing the same problem with other DB
applications I have discounted, possibly mistakenly, MySQL. However I
will check the possibilities in the link you sent.
Felix Bearden (Guest)
Philip Hallstrom wrote:
>> had used the depot application to display, enter, and edit with no
Thanks again.  However, even though the link gave me more places to
look, I still haven't found out anything useful.

I did try to build the scaffold from scratch by reloading the data-base
depot_development then trying to redo the application. I got as far as:

ruby script/generate scaffold Product Admin and got the error:
"Before updating scaffolding from a new DB schema, try creating a table
for your model (Product)"

Using phpMyAdmin, I verified that depot_development existed, contained
the table, products, and I was able to access the data.
14de61348c4ee70f69a1d32f83c92fe6?d=identicon&s=25 seth b. (subimage)
Did you do...

'gem install mysql' ?
Felix Bearden (Guest)
Felix Bearden wrote:
>>> to access the depot_development data base containing entries that I
>> -philip

As per the suggestions in this link, I extended the time and made
applicable changes with no positive results.

A problem was at some time introduced to the system.  As much as I hate
to, I am re-installing Fedora 5.  It is about a three day effort for me
to get everything back from the backuped data files.
Felix Bearden (Guest)

I understood that this was not necessary,  or, at first I installed it
with no problems.  I now get install errors.  It appears that I am
missing some headers. (I need to keep better notes)

I am having other problems with my server, and as much as I hate to do
it, I am reinstalling it on a freshly formatted disk.

Will report on results after I finish.

Felix