Forum: Ruby Solaris 9 SPARC packages for RubyGems?

John-Mason P. Shackelford (Guest)
Anyone out there ever build a Solaris 9 SPARC package for RubyGems?
I'd be grateful if you'd be willing to share it or a spec file.

BTW, it looks to me like the http://sunfreeware.com package for Ruby
1.8.4 is incompatible with their openssl package. The openssl package
installs into /usr/local/ssl but Ruby is looking for it in a standard
location so:

$ ruby -e "require 'md5'"
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/sparc-solaris2.9/digest/md5.so: ld.so.1: ruby:
fatal: libcrypto.so.0.9.8: open failed: No such file or directory -
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/sparc-solaris2.9/digest/md5.so (LoadError)
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/md5.rb:6
        from -e:1

$ ldd /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/sparc-solaris2.9/digest/md5.so
        libcrypto.so.0.9.8 =>    (file not found)
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
        libcrypt_i.so.1 =>       /usr/lib/libcrypt_i.so.1
        libm.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libm.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libgen.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libgen.so.1
        /usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240/lib/libc_psr.so.1

Has anyone modified the packages or built their own to overcome this?
As a Linux user unfamiliar with Solaris and its package manager, I
find that I am knocking my head against the wall quite a bit trying to
get Ruby into production on Solaris... Too many machines to build from
source everywhere...

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement

2510 North Dodge St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
ph. 319-354-9200x6214
john-mason.shackelford@pearson.com
http://pearsonedmeasurement.com
Daniel Berger (Guest)
John-Mason P. Shackelford wrote:
> Anyone out there ever build a Solaris 9 SPARC package for RubyGems?
> I'd be grateful if you'd be willing to share it or a spec file.
>
> BTW, it looks to me like the http://sunfreeware.com package for Ruby
> 1.8.4 is incompatible with their openssl package. The openssl package
> installs into /usr/local/ssl but Ruby is looking for it in a standard
> location so:

<snip>

Is it possible you installed openssl *after* you built Ruby?  I haven't
had a problem with it myself.

Also, I prefer blastwave.org to sunfreeware since pkg-get is such a nice
little command line app.  Keep in mind, though, that they build their
packages with Sun's compiler (which is now free, I think).

Blastwave does have a Ruby package, but I think it's outdated.

Regards,

Dan
John-Mason P. Shackelford (Guest)
Daniel,

Thanks a million! http://blastwave.org has packages for ruby 1.8.4 and
for rubygems 0.8.11
in their stable tree. Your post saved me hours and hours of work.
Thanks!

--
John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement

2510 North Dodge St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
ph. 319-354-9200x6214
john-mason.shackelford@pearson.com
http://pearsonedmeasurement.com
Daniel Berger (Guest)
John-Mason P. Shackelford wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> Thanks a million! http://blastwave.org has packages for ruby 1.8.4 and
> for rubygems 0.8.11
> in their stable tree. Your post saved me hours and hours of work. Thanks!

Cool. They must have added those recently.  I haven't checked in a
while. :)

Dan