Forum: Radiant CMS scheduled publishing

Tristan Boniver (Guest)
(sorry for the dupe, i posted the same message with the wrong subject)

During a migration to radiant, we had to correct the publish date of
archived posts via the database;  we had a little idea:

'status of a page' select box is now:
-draft
-reviewed
-published
-hidden

wouldn't it be nice to have:
-draft
-reviewed
-publish now
-publish on...
-hidden

It  allows the schedule of a post, and even modifying a publication
date in the past.

I like that idea of adding in publish on...

What happens once the date has arrived? Will the status changed to:
publish now?
I do like the idea of being able to modify the publish date. I don't
think this should be an option though that is available in the UI.
Keep it hidden and as an option to change so not to clutter the UI.

Chris-

On Jun 13, 2006, at 4:34 AM, Tristan Boniver wrote:

Chris Corriveau: CTO of Genevate - P.O. Box 1829, North Falmouth, MA
02556
contact | chris@genevate.com - 508.564.5676 ext. 202 | toll free -
866.GENEVATE
Daniel Sheppard (Guest)
http://dev.radiantcms.org/radiant/ticket/41

Adds the ability to modify the published date to the UI. Didn't do any
'publish later' magic (you'd need to have some sort of cron job set up
to update things), but this will at least allow back-dating of entries.
Tristan Boniver (Guest)
Is it possible to sort children  using another attribute than the
publication date ?
Daniel Sheppard (Guest)
http://dev.radiantcms.org/radiant/browser/trunk/ra...
context.rb#L80

There's a "by" attribute to select which field to sort by.
Tristan Boniver (Guest)
published_at seems to be the default attribute;

is there a "position" or "order" attribute available out of the box ?
(I don't see anything in the GUI)

Or a way to do it.. like creating a part "position" with a number in
it ?

(note : i ask those questions as a simple radiant user)
Tristan Boniver (Guest)
Right now i'm hacking my way through ordering children by using
numbers in my unused 'breadcrumb' field  (very dirty)

Anyone implementing a sortable-list solution for ordering items in
the 'Pages tree' will be a hero !

Tristan
John W. Long (Guest)
Tristan Boniver wrote:
> Right now i'm hacking my way through ordering children by using
> numbers in my unused 'breadcrumb' field  (very dirty)
>
> Anyone implementing a sortable-list solution for ordering items in
> the 'Pages tree' will be a hero !

+1 :-)

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com
John Long wrote:
> > Anyone implementing a sortable-list solution for ordering items in
> > the 'Pages tree' will be a hero !
>
> +1 :-)

http://dev.radiantcms.org:9007/radiant/ticket/45

The code there does the model stuff. The user interface will probably
involve a complete rewrite of the javascript and html for the admin
sitemap. To do it right would probably involve changing the admin pages
to use <ul>'s instead of tables (as scriptaculous doesn't to drag/drop
of table rows) - this would probably make for cleaner javascript and
html, though it will probably make for more complicated (and possibly
less flexible) css.

I'm going to try concentrating on my complex page model changes (ticket
40) as that's my big 'go-live' hurdle. So I don't want to get distracted
by this for now. If anybody wants to pick up the view side of this,
hopefully the model code should give you what you need to get going.
Otherwise I'll try and get back to it later.

Daniel Sheppard
Website Administrator
http://www.thegroggysquirrel.com
Keith Bingman (Guest)
on 2006-06-19 03:58
Daniel Sheppard wrote:
> John Long wrote:
>> > Anyone implementing a sortable-list solution for ordering items in
>> > the 'Pages tree' will be a hero !
>>
>> +1 :-)
>
> http://dev.radiantcms.org:9007/radiant/ticket/45
>
> The code there does the model stuff. The user interface will probably
> involve a complete rewrite of the javascript and html for the admin
> sitemap. To do it right would probably involve changing the admin pages
> to use <ul>'s instead of tables (as scriptaculous doesn't to drag/drop
> of table rows) - this would probably make for cleaner javascript and
> html, though it will probably make for more complicated (and possibly
> less flexible) css.
>
> I'm going to try concentrating on my complex page model changes (ticket
> 40) as that's my big 'go-live' hurdle. So I don't want to get distracted
> by this for now. If anybody wants to pick up the view side of this,
> hopefully the model code should give you what you need to get going.
> Otherwise I'll try and get back to it later.
>
> Daniel Sheppard
> Website Administrator
> http://www.thegroggysquirrel.com

I would be interesting in looking into doing this. It shouldn't be too
hard. I have done a few applications doing this sort of thing with lists
and the styles are not that complicated. I think it may even be easier
than a table, though that is a matter of taste. I am on the road, but
will give a serious go at the views this week.

Is anyone else going to be at Railsconf? We could have a RadiantCMS get
together...

Keith Bingman
http://www.bitchkittyracing.com
Bruce Williams (Guest)
On 6/18/06, Keith Bingman <keith@keithbingman.com> wrote:
> Is anyone else going to be at Railsconf? We could have a RadiantCMS get
> together...

I'll be at RailsConf (the 21st to 25th); sounds like a good idea.

Cheers,
Bruce
---
http://codefluency.com
Chris Corriveau (Guest)
I'll be going to Railsconf, could be up for a meetup.

Chris-

On Jun 18, 2006, at 9:58 PM, Keith Bingman wrote:

>> involve a complete rewrite of the javascript and html for the admin
>> 40) as that's my big 'go-live' hurdle. So I don't want to get
> hard. I have done a few applications doing this sort of thing with
> http://www.bitchkittyracing.com
>
> --

  Chris Corriveau: CTO of Genevate - P.O. Box 1829, North Falmouth,
MA 02556
contact | chris@genevate.com - 508.564.5676 ext. 202 | toll free -
866.GENEVATE
Visit: CapePropertySearch.com has graphs and trends on over 6,500+
Cape Cod properties.
John W. Long (Guest)
Keith Bingman wrote:
> I would be interesting in looking into doing this. It shouldn't be too
> hard. I have done a few applications doing this sort of thing with lists
> and the styles are not that complicated. I think it may even be easier
> than a table, though that is a matter of taste. I am on the road, but
> will give a serious go at the views this week.

I'd prefer a drag and drop sortable table. Sortable lists

> Is anyone else going to be at Railsconf? We could have a RadiantCMS get
> together...

I'll be there. Would you guys be up for meeting Thursday afternoon at
some point? We could also do Saturday lunch if that would work better
for everyone.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com
John W. Long wrote:
> I'd prefer a drag and drop sortable table. Sortable lists

Grrr. Hit the send button prematurely. I was going to say that I think a
table may be the only way to display that information in a "tabular"
fashion. It's probably semantically correct as well.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com

I've seen successful examples of <ul> doing that job  ( and I
remember doing it myself in minutes, sortable via scriptaculous, but
i can't reach it right now :/ )

Tristan
Keith Bingman (Guest)
on 2006-06-19 23:01
I just switched the admin interface over to a <ul>, there are a few
bugs, but for the most part it works nicely. I did it on the bus on the
way to Chicago, so it is a bit rough. But with a little effort, it will
look and work just as it did before.

Sortable lists are then very easy. I will take a look at the controller
code and see if I can fit it all together...

Keith

Tristan Boniver wrote:
> The 'pages' page can be considered as a list of items with their
> tools/actions vertically aligned on the right..
>
> I've seen successful examples of <ul> doing that job  ( and I
> remember doing it myself in minutes, sortable via scriptaculous, but
> i can't reach it right now :/ )
>
> Tristan
Daniel Sheppard (Guest)
> John W. Long wrote:
> > I'd prefer a drag and drop sortable table. Sortable lists
>
> Grrr. Hit the send button prematurely. I was going to say
> that I think a
> table may be the only way to display that information in a "tabular"
> fashion. It's probably semantically correct as well.

I don't think that's right on either count. The pages aren't a flat
table. They're a nested list, which <ul>'s are the more representative
tag for (or <ol>'s I guess, since we're doing this for sorting). Making
the lists look like tables should certainly be a possibility - some
careful floating should get us there.

Plus the fact that there are exactly zero libraries that allow the drag
and drop sorting of table rows - browsers are very hostile to such
things.

Also, a bit of an aside, but vaguely related - drag and drop of pages to
a different parent is probably not a good idea. I'm a big fan of "Cool
URI's Don't Change" philosophy, and would like to discourage such
movement of published pages. I'd like to have some sort of "move page"
option which will reparent the page and replace the existing page with a
redirect. But I'm yet to imagine how I'd like that to function in a
user-friendly manner. Someday inspiration will strike.
Ryan Platte (Guest)
On Jun 19, 2006, at 6:24 PM, Daniel Sheppard wrote:

> I'd like to have some sort of "move page"
> option which will reparent the page and replace the existing page
> with a
> redirect. But I'm yet to imagine how I'd like that to function in a
> user-friendly manner. Someday inspiration will strike.

What if drag 'n' dropping a published page left a gray entry
representing a redirect, and pressing "delete" on that redirect row
produced a warning saying that people might be linking to that URL?

Just a brainstorm.

--
Ryan Platte
Senior Developer, SubscriberMail, LLC

3333 Warrenville Rd.
Suite 530
Lisle, IL 60532
(630) 303-5072

Not Just Email...SubscriberMail
http://www.subscribermail.com/

This message (including attachments) contains proprietary information
which may not be disclosed or used beyond the purposes of this
message without the written consent of SubscriberMail, LLC. If you
receive this message in error, notify the sender and destroy this
message and all attachments immediately. Thank you.

SubscriberMail is covered under US PATENT 6,769,002
John W. Long (Guest)
Daniel Sheppard wrote:
> the lists look like tables should certainly be a possibility - some
> careful floating should get us there.

In one sense it's a list, and in the other sense it's a table. But isn't
that true for almost all tables? Tables are also much, much easier to
style for this kind of thing. It gets pretty messy when you try to do
the same thing with floats.

> Plus the fact that there are exactly zero libraries that allow the drag
> and drop sorting of table rows - browsers are very hostile to such
> things.

That could be an issue. I haven't done it myself so I wouldn't know.

> Also, a bit of an aside, but vaguely related - drag and drop of pages to
> a different parent is probably not a good idea. I'm a big fan of "Cool
> URI's Don't Change" philosophy, and would like to discourage such
> movement of published pages. I'd like to have some sort of "move page"
> option which will reparent the page and replace the existing page with a
> redirect. But I'm yet to imagine how I'd like that to function in a
> user-friendly manner. Someday inspiration will strike.

I like Ryan's idea about that. I think it should be easy to rearrange
pages. But agree that it would be nice to encourage redirects for
published URLs.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com
On Jun 20, 2006, at 10:25 AM, John W. Long wrote:

> Tables are also much, much easier to
> style for this kind of thing. It gets pretty messy when you try to do
> the same thing with floats.

Not if you have fixed-length widths you can just plug in to the
elements. Simple.

--
Ryan Platte
Senior Developer, SubscriberMail, LLC

3333 Warrenville Rd.
Suite 530
Lisle, IL 60532
(630) 303-5072

Not Just Email...SubscriberMail
http://www.subscribermail.com/

This message (including attachments) contains proprietary information
which may not be disclosed or used beyond the purposes of this
message without the written consent of SubscriberMail, LLC. If you
receive this message in error, notify the sender and destroy this
message and all attachments immediately. Thank you.

SubscriberMail is covered under US PATENT 6,769,002
Daniel Sheppard (Guest)
> What if drag 'n' dropping a published page left a gray entry
> representing a redirect, and pressing "delete" on that redirect row
> produced a warning saying that people might be linking to that URL?

That's how I've been imagining it, but dragging and dropping between
nested lists can sometimes be a little hard to do. If you make a couple
of accidental drops, you'll end up with trailing redirects. Maybe that's
not as much of an issue as I think though - guess we'll see when there's
an implementation.

Dan.