Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby app to rails?

8df338ca08c2f7a16307ead0794315d5?d=identicon&s=25 Lasse T. (lassethomsen)
on 2006-06-13 10:36
Hi.

Im am considering porting an c++ application to Ruby, and me company
would also like to have an web-version of this particular application.

If say there is an XML validator in the app. Then can Ruby and RoR share
this in an easy way, so i wouldnt have to maintain 2 branches of the
same XML validator.

Best Regards.
Lasse Thomsen
Nick Stuart (Guest)
On a strict code basis, use of svn externals might help here.

For a functional share usage, you could use simple web-services. If your
data is already XML based, web-services will suck this right up in a
hurry.

-Nick
8df338ca08c2f7a16307ead0794315d5?d=identicon&s=25 Lasse T. (lassethomsen)
on 2006-06-13 22:10
Nick Stuart wrote:
> On a strict code basis, use of svn externals might help here.
>
> For a functional share usage, you could use simple web-services. If your
> data is already XML based, web-services will suck this right up in a
> hurry.
>
> -Nick

My data isnt nessacary XML based, it can be any type of format. Ranging
from database entry to mission-files and XML. The idea is to use an
build pattern, so that we can process the data apart from the view, so
the idea is to have build a view for the standalone application and a
view for the web application. (they donst display data in the same way)

But if i could share the code-base for the engine, then it would
wonderfly. Perpaps via web-services, which I will look into.

Thanks for your reply.

Best Regards.
Lasse Thomsen
Alex Wayne (Guest)
on 2006-06-13 22:18
Lasse Thomsen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Im am considering porting an c++ application to Ruby, and me company
> would also like to have an web-version of this particular application.
>
> If say there is an XML validator in the app. Then can Ruby and RoR share
> this in an easy way, so i wouldnt have to maintain 2 branches of the
> same XML validator.
>
> Best Regards.
> Lasse Thomsen

As long as the business logic is separated out into a library it should
be super simple.  Just add a svn:externals in your /lib that pulls the
app libraries from wherever they are.  Then your controller just trigger
the library methods.
8df338ca08c2f7a16307ead0794315d5?d=identicon&s=25 Lasse T. (lassethomsen)
on 2006-06-13 22:51
Alex Wayne wrote:

> As long as the business logic is separated out into a library it should
> be super simple.  Just add a svn:externals in your /lib that pulls the
> app libraries from wherever they are.  Then your controller just trigger
> the library methods.

Thanks, just what i wanted to hear. (We are still in the look-around in
new techs to consider, but this made Ruby and RoR sound more as a good
way to go)

Best Regards
Lasse Thomsen