Forum: GNU Radio Help with building

Newell Jensen (Guest)
To anyone that can help,

I am in the process of building gnuradio from CVS.  I downloaded all the
dependencies like sdcc, numarray, numeric, fftw3, etc. into my home
folder
home/jensen and installed them with a script from the KD7LMO websit that
is
linked on the gnuwiki for cvs installation.  That went good and now I am
trying to build gnuradio via cvs.  So I checkedout the sources into the
folder home/jensen/gr (which is the same gr that KD7LMO has everything
being
built from).  Now I am trying to build the cvs stuff that was checked
out
via the instructions on the wiki page using:

$ sudo -v

$  ./for-all-dirs ../buildit 2>&1 | tee make.log

but I am getting this error:

checking for fftw3f >= 3.0... Package fftw3f was not found in the
pkg-config
search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fftw3f.pc'
the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'fftw3f' found
configure: error: Library requirements (fftw3f >= 3.0) not met; consider
adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are
in
a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
>>>build FAILED in /home/jensen/gr/gnuradio-core

Please not that I fixed this error with something I found on the web
that
said for me to do this:

$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}:/home/jensen/fftw-3.1.1"

Yet, it only seems to work momentarily, because after a while I still
get
the same error message.   Does anyone know how to fix it so that it
stays
fixed?  Also, when it was working for the short time that it did, I ran
into
another problem and that was that it said that I didn't have cppunit
installed but I do.  Here is the error message that I get with that:

checking for cppunit-config... no
checking for Cppunit - version >= 1.9.14... configure: error: GNU Radio
requires cppunit.  Stop
>>>build FAILED in /home/jensen/gr/gnuradio-core

Now I have cppunit installed and the folder is in /home/jensen/  so I
don't
know if this is the problem?
Since I am fairly new to everything (linux) I would appreciate any
pointers.
  Thanks.

Newell
Eric Blossom (Guest)
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 05:26:39AM +0000, Newell Jensen wrote:

> configure: error: Library requirements (fftw3f >= 3.0) not met; consider
> adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in
> a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

First off, life would get *so* much easier for you if you just let
everything put itself in it's default location: under /usr/local

> Please not that I fixed this error with something I found on the web that
> said for me to do this:
>
> $ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}:/home/jensen/fftw-3.1.1"

To "keep it fixed" you need to export the variable in your .profile,
.bashrc, etc so that the next time you login or pop open a new window,
the variable is set.

> Now I have cppunit installed and the folder is in /home/jensen/  so I don't
> know if this is the problem?
> Since I am fairly new to everything (linux) I would appreciate any
> pointers. Thanks.

More of the same.  Just take the default config args and install under
/usr/local.  E.g.,

  $ cd .../cppunit-<x.y.z>
  $ ./configure
  $ ./make
  $ sudo make install

  $ sudo ldconfig

You may want to consider investing in a book on Linux system
administration.  It's a good investment.

Eric