Forum: Ruby Wiki recommendations?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Matt Lawrence (Guest)
on 2006-06-13 02:18
(Received via mailing list)
I'm trying to set up a wiki on an AIX box at work for use by the
sysadmin
team and I'm looking for suggestions.  Here's what I've tried so far:

Pandora.  Looks good, but I think there's an issue with the licence that
would prevent me from being able to use it at work.

Instiki.  After messing with it for a couple of hours and installing an
obnoxious batch of prerequisites, it still doesn't work.  Maybe it used
to
be good, but now it needs a lot of cleanup and care.

Ruwiki.  Austin is a really sharp guy, but he hasn't released any
updates
since 2004.  That worries me a bit.

So, what do y'all suggest?  Ruby based would be nice, I already have
ruby
on the system.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.
It's what I can remember in time to use.
John Gabriele (Guest)
on 2006-06-13 02:45
(Received via mailing list)
On 6/12/06, Matt Lawrence <matt@technoronin.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a wiki on an AIX box at work for use by the sysadmin
> team and I'm looking for suggestions.  Here's what I've tried so far:
>
> [snip]
> So, what do y'all suggest?  Ruby based would be nice, I already have ruby
> on the system.

I think somewhere along the line, the Pragmatic Programmers once
recommended UseModWiki, and it's become somewhat of a staple in the
Ruby community. It's written in Perl, and is pretty simple to set up
and use... though I still don't understand its notion of user and
admin passwords.

If it's only going to be used on an intranet, you might go with
something very simple like UseMod. An even simpler looking wiki is
PikiPiki (http://sourcefrog.net/projects/piki/). It's written in
Python, and seems to be *very* basic. The fancier wiki named
"MoinMoin" originally sprung from the loins of PikiPiki. :)
James Britt (Guest)
on 2006-06-13 03:00
(Received via mailing list)
Matt Lawrence wrote:
>
> Ruwiki.  Austin is a really sharp guy, but he hasn't released any
> updates since 2004.  That worries me a bit.
>
> So, what do y'all suggest?  Ruby based would be nice, I already have
> ruby on the system.

I'm a big fan of DokuWiki.  Its PHP, but you don't have to mess with it,
just some config things and it works great, with sweet features.

A big plus for me is that it stores files on disk, as plain text.  I
think this is configurable if you really think you need a DB.



--
James Britt

"Take eloquence and wring its neck."
  - Paul Verlaine
Matt Lawrence (Guest)
on 2006-06-13 03:19
(Received via mailing list)
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, James Britt wrote:

> I'm a big fan of DokuWiki.  Its PHP, but you don't have to mess with it, just
> some config things and it works great, with sweet features.

But I would have to mess with building PHP.  Sometimes quite an
adventure
on AIX.

And, I am very grateful to the folks who figured out how to build ruby
on
AIX.  It's wonderful to have it available.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.
It's what I can remember in time to use.
Dave Burt (Guest)
on 2006-06-13 03:37
(Received via mailing list)
Another Ruby wiki I consider worth looking at is Soks.

Cheers,
Dave
unknown (Guest)
on 2006-06-13 04:21
(Received via mailing list)
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:16:55AM +0900, Matt Lawrence wrote:
>
>
Ummm...No:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/l...
D211f6bb7e618c409820ed4d1c388833?d=identicon&s=25 Jim W. (weirich)
on 2006-06-14 03:43
John Gabriele wrote:
> On 6/12/06, Matt Lawrence <matt@technoronin.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up a wiki on an AIX box at work for use by the sysadmin
>> team and I'm looking for suggestions.  Here's what I've tried so far:
>>
>> [snip]
>> So, what do y'all suggest?  Ruby based would be nice, I already have ruby
>> on the system.
>
> I think somewhere along the line, the Pragmatic Programmers once
> recommended UseModWiki, and it's become somewhat of a staple in the
> Ruby community. It's written in Perl, and is pretty simple to set up
> and use... though I still don't understand its notion of user and
> admin passwords.

At the time the prags choose UseMod, there was not a lot of choices for
a Ruby-based wiki.  Things have changed quite a bit since then.

Both RuWiki and Instiki are good choices for an easy to setup wiki.

The RubyGarden wiki has migrated away from UseMod, and is not running
Ruse.  Ruse is quite a bit younger that either of the above choices, but
has advanced spam control mechanisms if you are thinking about putting
it on the internet. (see http://wikis.onestepback.org/Ruse for more
information)

-- Jim Weirich
Matt Lawrence (Guest)
on 2006-06-14 03:50
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Jim Weirich wrote:

> Both RuWiki and Instiki are good choices for an easy to setup wiki.

Instiki is no longer easy to set up, it's now a long troublesome
installation that I wasn't able to make work.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.
It's what I can remember in time to use.
Assaph Mehr (Guest)
on 2006-06-14 04:15
(Received via mailing list)
On 6/13/06, Matt Lawrence <matt@technoronin.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a wiki on an AIX box at work for use by the sysadmin
> team and I'm looking for suggestions.  Here's what I've tried so far:
[snip]
> So, what do y'all suggest?  Ruby based would be nice, I already have ruby
> on the system.

This is very much a function of what you need it for.

My favourite "enterprise grade" wiki is Confluence[1]. It's in Java,
so presumably will work on AIX. Admitedly I only use it, never set it
up.

If you need something for only a small group to share info and get
stuff done, may I suggest Pimki[2]? It's a snap to set up (gem or SVN
snapshot) and gives you a few more bits for playing with information
than a standard wiki, but a few less when it comes to bells and
whistles. (The fact that I write it in no way means I'm biased ;-)

Cheers,
Assaph

[1] http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence
[2] http://pimki.rubyforge.org
Mauricio Fernandez (Guest)
on 2006-06-14 09:26
(Received via mailing list)
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:15:37AM +0900, Matt Lawrence wrote:
> Ruwiki.  Austin is a really sharp guy, but he hasn't released any updates
> since 2004.  That worries me a bit.
>
> So, what do y'all suggest?  Ruby based would be nice, I already have ruby
> on the system.

I'm using Hiki[http://hikiwiki.org/en/]. It stores data in plain text
files,
is very featureful (lots of plugins) and can be extended trivially (I
modified/created several plugins for eigenclass.org: math rendering with
troff, syntax highlighting for Ruby, blog-like node aggregation,
enhanced RSS
plugin, etc.).
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.