Forum: Ruby on Rails OT: Good virtual server host with debian?

Fb23bc8cd4030c526b0689276b34c8bd?d=identicon&s=25 Bryan Duxbury (bryanduxbury)
on 2006-06-10 22:31
Hey all,

I'm casually shopping around for a host that will give me a virtual
server running Debian. It would host some of my rails projects and
probably some svn.

Does anyone know of a good host? Anecdotes about satisfaction would be
nice.

Thanks,

Bryan
Db303dc84d03a992b33cd3ac978f89ae?d=identicon&s=25 Benjamin Curtis (Guest)
I've had a great experience with quantact.com, and everyone I've sent
there has had the same experience.

--
Benjamin Curtis
http://www.bencurtis.com/
On Jun 10, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Bryan Duxbury wrote:

> Bryan
>
> --

Bryan-

	I use http://rimuhosting.com for vps installs. The use Xen for the
virtualization technology and Xen is the fastest thing going for
virtualized servers. I've referred a lot of people there and no one
has been unhappy.

-Ezra
3dd4b52a0946bd698b1d1635a46ea3a3?d=identicon&s=25 François Beausoleil (fbeausoleil)
Bryan,

2006/6/10, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius@gmail.com>:
> On Jun 10, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Bryan Duxbury wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a good host? Anecdotes about satisfaction would be
> > nice.
>
>         I use http://rimuhosting.com for vps installs. The use Xen for the
> virtualization technology and Xen is the fastest thing going for
> virtualized servers. I've referred a lot of people there and no one
> has been unhappy.

I went for RimuHosting after reading Ezra's information.  I am very
satisfied with their service.  I needed postfix installed with some
special stuff, and they did it for me.  They charge 40 USD/hour for
install, and if it takes less than 15 minutes, they won't charge you.

I steadily upgraded my host from level 1 and am now at level 5 or 6 --
can't even remember.  Anyway, watch out for memory, that's the only
catch I would warn against.  96 Mb is OK for 1 app and a small config
for MySQL.  Anything else requires more RAM.

Hope that helps !
Cd2382441bbe2ec68e3bf36aea0ca2ea?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Keys (Guest)
On Jun 11, 2006, at 9:38 PM, Francois Beausoleil wrote:
> I went for RimuHosting after reading Ezra's information.  I am very
> satisfied with their service.  I needed postfix installed with some
> special stuff, and they did it for me.  They charge 40 USD/hour for
> install, and if it takes less than 15 minutes, they won't charge you.
>
> I steadily upgraded my host from level 1 and am now at level 5 or 6 --
> can't even remember.  Anyway, watch out for memory, that's the only
> catch I would warn against.  96 Mb is OK for 1 app and a small config
> for MySQL.  Anything else requires more RAM.

This is really good to know.  I was looking at getting their 128 MB
RAM plan to run two Typo weblogs and some legacy PHP stuff.  Anyone
care to comment on whether 128 MB of RAM will be in the right ballpark?

My Rails processes seem to use around 40-50 MB of RAM on TxD, so I
guess the real question is, does MySQL need more than ~30 MB of RAM?

--
~akk
http://therealadam.com

Michael
678aa0aabf79a4933b7efc6d585dc141?d=identicon&s=25 Matt White (Guest)
+1 for Rimuhosting. Those guys are fantastic. If you tell them what you
want
they'll install it during setup. Peter even installed Mongrel for me
without
me asking ;) Super helpful and very friendly. I don't feel like a number
:)

Matt
On Jun 12, 2006, at 9:42 AM, Adam Keys wrote:

>> for MySQL.  Anything else requires more RAM.
> ~akk
> http://therealadam.com

Adam-

	Typo is a bit of a resource hog so 128 might be a little small for
two typos and some php stuff. I run two blogs and an old php cms on a
192Mb vps at rimu and it works well. So you should probably get the
160Mb-256Mb size vps. you can always start smaller and move up as
needed.

	Another thing to consider though is that once you start to get into
the bigger plans at rimu you might want to take a look at http://
layeredtech.com. You can get an AMD Athlon with 512Mb ram and an
80gig HD for $65.month. Add another $10 and you get a gig of ram.
They are very reliable as well and I have not had any issues there
with the servers I deal with. But they are much more hands off than
rimu. Rimu will install stuff for you when you get your vps setup and
will provide some support along the way. But layered just gives you
root and says have a good time. Which is fine if you know how to
admin your box.

Cheers-
-Ezra
66436ae6502afa76c02fb18f943c69e8?d=identicon&s=25 Phillip Kast (Guest)
Adam Keys wrote:
> does MySQL need more than ~30 MB of RAM?

Only if you want it to serve queries ;)
Seriously, you can get it running well in that amount of memory, but it
usually is configured to want way more out of the box.

I'm no MySQL tuning expert, and often find myself googling this page
from the manual when I need to deal with its memory issues:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-para...

-phil