Forum: Ruby on Rails Noob with Overwhelming Deployment Woes...

E25296bf52723dc37bc462271eb02d2d?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Pfeifer (jpfeifer)
on 2006-06-09 20:03
I'm doing some searching for deployment options, and I feel like I'm
getting buried in a lot of new technology and assumptions that I know
all that it's dependent on.  In the past I've done small things with PHP
where I just dump the app in a folder and everything works out of the
box.

I found that everyone is using Capistrano, which relies on Subversion
repositories - which I know of but don't know how to setup or use.  Then
there is also lighttpd, fcgi, apache, and a host of other pseudonyms to
worry about configuring.

Can anyone reccomend where to get started at the beginning of all this?
I'd like to deploy to my shared textdrive account for starters if that
helps at all.

I appreciate the help.

Jason
39c5254d0a798765f37ac215fa6e0fc7?d=identicon&s=25 Curtis Spendlove (cuspendlove)
On 6/9/06, Jason Pfeifer <jpfeifer@shaw.ca> wrote:
> I'm doing some searching for deployment options, and I feel like I'm
> getting buried in a lot of new technology and assumptions that I know
> all that it's dependent on.  In the past I've done small things with PHP
> where I just dump the app in a folder and everything works out of the
> box.

You can technically copy a Rails app to a directory and it will run
out of the box as long as the requirements on the "server" are met (no
different than PHP or any other language).  In fact I find it easier
to setup a RoR environment on a new computer than a PHP one, but
that's a digression.

> I found that everyone is using Capistrano, which relies on Subversion
> repositories - which I know of but don't know how to setup or use.  Then
> there is also lighttpd, fcgi, apache, and a host of other pseudonyms to
> worry about configuring.

It can be, you can get a lot of information about these things at the
Rails Document site, and particularly the Wiki.  However...since
you're using TextDrive...

> Can anyone reccomend where to get started at the beginning of all this?
> I'd like to deploy to my shared textdrive account for starters if that
> helps at all.

The TextDrive forums have a lot of good information about deploying a
Rails app on the server.  You also have Subversion access from the
server at TextDrive, there are documents in the forums stating how to
get that up and running.  Capistrano is available through them as
well.  It should probably take less than a day even though it does
seem a little daunting at first...

-Curtis
3c4067229e39ae56a0735b6491020533?d=identicon&s=25 Chris (Guest)
on 2006-06-09 21:09
> Can anyone reccomend where to get started at the beginning of all this?
> I'd like to deploy to my shared textdrive account for starters if that
> helps at all.

I think your best bet is follow Textdrive's official guide
http://help.textdrive.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=71

It takes you through step-by-step getting up and running with Lighttpd

Also, this is sans Subversion so you can wait until you've got your
first app running then move onto Version Control (highly recommended
btw, once learnt it is awesome!)

hth, Chris