Forum: Ruby on Rails ActiveRBAC?

34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
How's the experience with using ActiveRBAC?  For my "next 4 days with
rails" :P I'd like to consider adding Role-based access to the To-Do
List application in the original "four days w/ rails" tutorial.

Just wondering if ActiveRBAC would be a good place to start?  Thanks!

For those who are wondering: https://activerbac.turingstudio.com/trac

Cheers
Mohit.
C70264c74698cbe2324b91ff778abcff?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Völkerts (Guest)
Mohit Sindhwani schrieb:
> How's the experience with using ActiveRBAC?  For my "next 4 days with
> rails" :P I'd like to consider adding Role-based access to the To-Do
> List application in the original "four days w/ rails" tutorial.

If you are on windows it might be a problem. The actual release doesn't
work for me as there are many issues with the rake migration and how
active_rbas handles files (my guess is that the files are hard coded for
unix systems in the confs).

For completness: The active_rbac team mentioned that the plugin is only
tested on unix systems so don't hesitate. If your are on unix/linux/bsd
what ever, it might fit your needs as its very complete (in my point of
view).

hth,
Daniel Völkerts wrote:
> For completness: The active_rbac team mentioned that the plugin is
> only tested on unix systems so don't hesitate. If your are on
> unix/linux/bsd what ever, it might fit your needs as its very complete
> (in my point of view).
>
> hth,

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the pointers.  I'm on Windows most of the time, so perhaps I
should delay using ActiveRBAC... that, or I have to boot back to Linux
:)

Any pointers on which other authentication engine is a good idea?  I
know that there have been a few posts in the past few days relating to
this, so I'm going to go through those emails, too.

Cheers
Mohit.
29b15f133c26b6dac0e4954d61733db9?d=identicon&s=25 Larry Kelly (Guest)
I'll be using ActiveRBAC in my current project.  Am developing on Linux,
but
will be deploying on Windows Server 2003.  I haven't tried migrations on
Windows yet. But, ActiveRBAC has a schema.sql file for MS SQL  Server
which
can be used instead of running the migrations.  When I do the Windows
emplementation, I'll try to remember ;) to write a short tutorial on the
process.

In the mean time, if you needs don't require the full RBAC treatment,
you
might consider the user_engine.

http://www.agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/user_engine

-Larry
Larry Kelly wrote:
> http://www.agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/user_engine
> <http://www.agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/user_engine>
>
> -Larry

Thanks Larry - will check that out!  Put me on the list of people
"waiting" for the tutorial.  I guess my scenario may be the other way -
developing on Windows but deploying on Linux!

Cheers
Mohit