Forum: Ruby on Rails Ppecial characters are not being displayed in emails

Cf5880598f9ed484de58d5f388d5c1e2?d=identicon&s=25 Loganathan S. (loganathan_s)
Hi All,

I have to send user profile password via email, where password will have
special characters as below

*>>"><<<<<!@#$%^&*()_-+=|{}[]/.,`*

Whenever I send email, some of the special characters are not being
displayed, I have used the *html_safe*, also set the meta tag as below,
but
special characters are always being removed in the mails, can anybody
let
me know the way to display special characters in mailer views?

Actual password:
*>>><<<<<!@#$%^&*()_-+=|{}[]/.,`*Password in mail: *>>><<<`*

regards,
Loganathan
Mob: +91 7760780741 | +91 9944414388
Skype: loganathan.sellappa
ViewMe <http://vizualize.me/loganathan>
A47e0a6beeb9d048ff054fc1c3a97418?d=identicon&s=25 Walter Davis (walterdavis)
On May 16, 2015, at 1:15 PM, Loganathan Sellapa
<loganathan.ms@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actual password: >>><<<<<!@#$%^&*()_-+=|{}[]/.,`
> Password in mail: >>><<<`

Two things: first, html_safe means "this character doesn't need to be
escaped" when actually, you mean the opposite. The character is probably
there, but the fact that you have used angle brackets (but not escaped
them to &lt and &gt) means that it's being interpreted as the beginning
of a tag and ignored. Try using nothing at all to escape it, which will
mean that Rails does its usual thing and converts any character that has
special meaning in HTML into an entity. It will appear in the
browser/email client as the correct character.

Second thing: why on earth are you sending a password in clear text in
an e-mail, unless that's also inside a PGP block? You may as well write
it on a postcard (or hire a sky-writer).

Walter
Cf5880598f9ed484de58d5f388d5c1e2?d=identicon&s=25 Loganathan S. (loganathan_s)
Hi Walter,

Just wanted to let you know
​,​
​ ​
have tried without html_safe already it didnt
​encode the "<" in to "&lt"
.
​ Regarding the second point,  ​I need to send the plain password since
this token password which needs to be used only once by the customer.

Regards,
Logan

Sent from Mobile device.
A47e0a6beeb9d048ff054fc1c3a97418?d=identicon&s=25 Walter Davis (walterdavis)
Okay, then try the <%=h dummy_password %> here instead. I thought that
it was default in all contexts, but perhaps inside a mailer template it
is not?

Walter
Cf5880598f9ed484de58d5f388d5c1e2?d=identicon&s=25 Loganathan S. (loganathan_s)
HI Walter,

I have tried all the possible options such h, raw and nothing works on
mailer view.

regards,
Loganathan
Mob: +91 7760780741 | +91 9944414388
Skype: loganathan.sellappa
ViewMe <http://vizualize.me/loganathan>

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 12:30 AM, Walter Lee Davis <waltd@wdstudio.com>
0ed4792cc2ec40646e4982d934eb40d0?d=identicon&s=25 John O'Gara (Guest)
Try

<%= CGI.escapeHTML(dummy_password) %>

When that works stop what you're doing and implement a password link
reset/setup that will allow you to securely reset your users passwords

John
Cf5880598f9ed484de58d5f388d5c1e2?d=identicon&s=25 Loganathan S. (loganathan_s)
Thanks it worked.