Forum: JRuby Mailing lists need to be migrated off Codehaus

F1d37642fdaa1662ff46e4c65731e9ab?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Nutter (headius)
As some of you may know, Codehaus is being shut down. As a result,
we'll need to migrate the JRuby lists to another service.

Given that the old lists are going to be nuked from orbit, I think
we're justified in transplanting the entire mailing list to a new
service without making people re-subscribe.

Tom and I think we should condense the "dev" and "user" lists into
one. There's not enough traffic to warrant separate lists.

I'm not sure what service to use. Google Groups would be the easiest,
but people have all sorts of concerns about using it. Librelist is
kinda deprecated...Zed even warned me away from using it. Suggestions?

We'll be making this transition pretty quickly, since the Codehaus
services are set to be shut down next month.

- Charlie
2f2aae23dc89cd45f9da28f2b9497288?d=identicon&s=25 Steve (Gmail) (Guest)
Discourse?

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

blog: http://steve.stewdle.com/blog
twitter: @boberetezeke
D565139dbbafc06e7daf4826ca0f0228?d=identicon&s=25 R. Tyler Croy (Guest)
(replies inline)

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> I'm not sure what service to use. Google Groups would be the easiest,
> but people have all sorts of concerns about using it. Librelist is
> kinda deprecated...Zed even warned me away from using it. Suggestions?
>
> We'll be making this transition pretty quickly, since the Codehaus
> services are set to be shut down next month.

We've had good success within the Jenkins project with Google Groups
with one
caveat, it's important to nominate lieutenants to help manage the
periodic
spammers and other membership management tasks that can come up during
the
course of the mailing list.

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy
Caa2df9372ffa0a9e95b2bab1e8fea34?d=identicon&s=25 Karol Bucek (Guest)
+1 for Discourse ... of course there's caveats since there would need to
be
a dedicated installation somewhere ;(

... not to mention migrating existing messages/users might be "hacky" as
there seems to not be an official way, but than again it's just Ruby :)

G shuts down services at will esp. ones without revenue (e.g. google
code),
and groups seems like it's stagnating so it's hard to tell it's future.

K.
2abdb50caf0dc5b510330f68b02db8e4?d=identicon&s=25 Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas (Guest)
I prefer Google Groups
Em 14/04/2015 12:08, "Charles Oliver Nutter" <headius@headius.com>
escreveu:
58c538d6f6e8fbf54779c5607e567bff?d=identicon&s=25 John B. (john_b)
+1 for Discourse. Perhaps it could be on their hosted service. Maybe
they
would be interested in doing it pro bono. Discourse is ruby and Sam
Saffron
is an MRI hacker, they might like the idea of helping JRuby.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <
20753db11b9ffec13351e7fc2ddfbf7e?d=identicon&s=25 Ricky N. (ricky_n)
How is the Discourse email interface? I recall one of the counter
arguments against Ruby's list moving to Discourse was that the inline
replies didn't translate well to email.

--
Incoherently,
Ricky Ng
F1d37642fdaa1662ff46e4c65731e9ab?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Nutter (headius)
> How is the Discourse email interface? I recall one of the counter
> arguments against Ruby's list moving to Discourse was that the inline
> replies didn't translate well to email.

This is definitely a key point. Google Groups is easy to manage (even
spam) and "It's Just Email", even if you use the forum interface.

I'm still leaning toward Groups. What are the reasons against?

- Charlie
2b2507f727d700eb59819b3a2e0c4a24?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Seaton (Guest)
We still get a bit of very obvious spam on jruby-user every few weeks -
but I think most of it comes from the ruby-forum integration. Perhaps we
should reconsider that as well.

Chris
13313ac2ec7ba7c43b1b952db034ff3b?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas E Enebo (Guest)
I am inclined at this point with a slight bias towards google groups
because we use it for JNR and a few other projects but I will look at
Discourse since so many have mentioned it.

My larger view from managing this stuff is to try and consolidate all of
this stuff down to as few instructions and moving parts as possible
while
not pissing off community members :)

-Tom

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Chris Seaton <chrisgseaton@gmail.com>
C0cb3aadb9a66d00df16686f4a1fc312?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Uckun (Guest)
FWIW I find the discourse interface to be too distracting and busy.  I
like
the email list.
B05d3cbc64b0031a24c2887fb6ddc173?d=identicon&s=25 christian (Guest)
google groups would be OK to me or anything which works fine as "email"
Caa2df9372ffa0a9e95b2bab1e8fea34?d=identicon&s=25 Karol Bucek (Guest)
Discourse should be able to act like a plain-old mailing list:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master...

... than of course I do not have any experience using it that way, just
wanted to address the same kind of complains about it.
groups is fine esp. if "quick" migration is possible.

K.
486ca04f06d968004643ce5b47376ded?d=identicon&s=25 Keith B. (keith_b)
I'm in the Ruby Rogues "Parley" discussion group, and a couple of years
ago
they switched from Google Groups to Discourse.

There was a heated debate at the time.  Some people hated Google Groups
because it wasn't open source and Google was not responsive in fixing
bugs.  Others said that Discourse was not good on mobile phones.
Whether
or not using it with email would really be convenient was questioned.

I can't speak for the others, but I stopped participating -- I don't
remember the details, but either email did not work correctly or for
some
reason I did not get notifications; and I never seem to get around to
logging in.

If I get a chance I'll post a message there asking for a retrospective
on
that decision.

- Keith
486ca04f06d968004643ce5b47376ded?d=identicon&s=25 Keith B. (keith_b)

"Google Groups is abandonware, and there is NO way to extract posts from
it
if you decide you made the wrong choice. That's why we still haven't
moved
the pre-discourse archive into here."

...and...

"The thing that everyone seemed to dislike was that we couldn't be
email-only when interacting with the discourse forum. At this point, the
email features have caught up, so discourse is an excellent choice."

- Keith

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Keith Bennett <keithrbennett@gmail.com>
7d6e6699c6e5cae6bae36834cf679d15?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Prins (Guest)
On 14-04-15 17:06, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> I'm not sure what service to use. Google Groups would be the easiest,
> but people have all sorts of concerns about using it. Librelist is
> kinda deprecated...Zed even warned me away from using it. Suggestions?
>
> We'll be making this transition pretty quickly, since the Codehaus
> services are set to be shut down next month.

Sourceforge provides mailinglists for projects using mailman including
archiving. It would require creating a project on SF and only create the
ML (and maybe remove the other items, it's been a while since i created
a new project on SF)

seems there already is a Jruby project on SF with mailing lists
configured.. catching only spam by the looks of it.