Forum: Ruby on Rails Installing rails @ WinXP SP1 issue

2cc03ac9477cb48aa9b83b5227c638b8?d=identicon&s=25 Logan Kriete (Guest)
on 2005-11-19 20:16
I've downloaded the latest version of Ruby from their website and
installed it using all of defaults (I didn't change any install
options). I was following along in a tutorial
(http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rails.html) and it said
that to install Rails, I needed to type "gem install rails --remote". So
I typed it. And it froze at the part where it said it was "Updating Gem
source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org". It stood there for 30
minutes doing nothing past that point. I've tried everything I can think
of to get it to work, but to no avail. Yes, I have proxies setup on both
FF & IE for my work network, but both are disabled right now as I'm at
my house. I don't have ZoneAlarm, nor am I running the XP Firewall. I've
uninstalled VMWare (which had created two "virtual" networking devices)
just in case, and even restarted the machine, uninstalled Ruby,
re-installed it, and tried again, but still to no avail. If I cannot get
Ruby to install Rails using the gem package manager, is there any way I
can install Rails manually? I'd really like to be able to learn RoR but
if this is my main development machine and I can't get RoR on it then
it'll be a lot harder. I've installed PHP, Apache, MySQL, Perl, etc. all
without problems on this same WinXP SP1 machine, but RoR just isn't
working. Does anyone have any suggestions to offer me?
Ff63c03fd68754adbadd2c6314646bef?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Guindon (agorilla)
On 11/19/05, Logan Kriete <logankriete@gmail.com> wrote:
> my house. I don't have ZoneAlarm, nor am I running the XP Firewall. I've
> uninstalled VMWare (which had created two "virtual" networking devices)
> just in case, and even restarted the machine, uninstalled Ruby,
> re-installed it, and tried again, but still to no avail. If I cannot get
> Ruby to install Rails using the gem package manager, is there any way I
> can install Rails manually? I'd really like to be able to learn RoR but
> if this is my main development machine and I can't get RoR on it then
> it'll be a lot harder. I've installed PHP, Apache, MySQL, Perl, etc. all
> without problems on this same WinXP SP1 machine, but RoR just isn't
> working. Does anyone have any suggestions to offer me?

Perhaps this will work for you:

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

> --

Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
I have found this to be a huge issue that they are currently working on.
Rails is just too popular, and the Gem servers are taking a penalty.

What I have done is setup in my .gemrc file which allows you to
reference a
new gem mirror.

/root/.gemrc
gem: --source http://rubyforge.planetargon.com/gems.rubyforge.org

Now whenever I try to install a new gem they come up lightning quick.

I now realize you are on windows though, so I am unsure how you can do
this
indefinately, but you can pass that --source parameter mentioned above
the gem command and utilize it each time.

Warmest regards,
Nathan.

Nathaniel S. H. Brown                 Toll Free 1.877.4.INIMIT
Inimit Innovations                        Phone   604.724.6624
www.inimit.com                              Fax   604.444.9942
2cc03ac9477cb48aa9b83b5227c638b8?d=identicon&s=25 Logan Kriete (Guest)
on 2005-11-20 18:15
@nathan

That makes sense; however, that other server is still extremely slow and
doesn't seem to be doing much on my end. However, I was able to visit
that server in FF and download the "rails-0.14.3.gem" file. Is there any
way now, that I have it downloaded, to have gem install from this local
file? If so, how and where do I put the file?

@bill

Thanks for the program but I've already got Apache and MySQL installed
and configured on my machine, plus I'd like to learn how to configure
ruby + rails with Apache myself. But, if there's any way to extract the
ruby installation with rails bundled in from that program, I'll take
that and replace my current ruby installation with it.

Thanks for all your help so far!!
560c83ff6b6600e39315a1cf75b7c229?d=identicon&s=25 tom (Guest)
On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 14:10 -0800, Nathaniel S. H. Brown wrote:
> I have found this to be a huge issue that they are currently working on.
> Rails is just too popular, and the Gem servers are taking a penalty.
>
> What I have done is setup in my .gemrc file which allows you to reference a
> new gem mirror.
>
> /root/.gemrc
> gem: --source http://rubyforge.planetargon.com/gems.rubyforge.org
>
> Now whenever I try to install a new gem they come up lightning quick.

The problem with this approach is that currently this particular Gem
mirror is not being updated - we're migrating over to a new mirror
setup, and folks are bringing their machines over as they get a chance.
So more recent gems may not be there.  If you just hit
gems.rubyforge.org, you'll be redirected to a mirror which is as up to
date as we can manage - i.e., usually no more than 45 minutes or so
behind the latest releases.

Also, it could lead to loading one particular mirror more than the
others, which is kind of a bummer if the person hosting the mirror has a
bandwidth cap.

Still, I sympathize with not being able to always get to the main gem
repository... not a good situation.  Hopefully more mirrors will be
brought online soon and the situation will improve...

Yours,

Tom
2cc03ac9477cb48aa9b83b5227c638b8?d=identicon&s=25 Logan Kriete (Guest)
on 2005-12-05 14:55
Just an update...I'm still having this problem with both the main
repository and the mirror, and I've even tried it from another network
different than my house's...I've browsed the mirror using Firefox and I
can download the file "rails-xxxxx.gem"; is there any way I can install
it from locally now?
3203ed0e608d3bfae1e31282e629ffa2?d=identicon&s=25 peter.fitzgibbons (Guest)
gem install railsxxxx.gem

gem will understand that.

On 12/5/05, Logan Kriete <logankriete@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rails mailing list
> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

Eea7ad39737b0dbf3de38874e0a6c7d8?d=identicon&s=25 justin (Guest)
Logan Kriete wrote:

> Just an update...I'm still having this problem with both the main
> repository and the mirror, and I've even tried it from another network
> different than my house's...I've browsed the mirror using Firefox and I
> can download the file "rails-xxxxx.gem"; is there any way I can install
> it from locally now?

I have a clean WinXP SP2 machine that I can install Ruby and Rails on -
I'll check that it works and email you the full details, if that would
help.

I have installed and updated Ruby and Rails on a variety of Windows
machines, some behind an HTTP proxy and some not. There have been
occasions when things just hung (with virtually no network traffic) when
updating the index of gems, but this has not been a persistent problem
(I might have given up on one occasion, then succeeded the next day).

Anyway, I need to get Ruby and Rails set up on this machine, so I'll see
if it is working for me today.

regards

    Justin
Justin Forder wrote:

> I have a clean WinXP SP2 machine that I can install Ruby and Rails on -
> I'll check that it works and email you the full details, if that would
> help.

The short version: no problems with installing Ruby and Gems with the
Windows one-click installer. It then took a couple of minutes to bring
rubygems up to date (to 0.8.11 from 0.8.10) using

   gem update --system

(this included updating the Gem source index for
http://gems.rubyforge.org)

Then installing rails using

   gem install rails --include-dependencies

took about three minutes.

The download and install was really fast; most of the time was taken in
RDoc generation.

The long version: I'll email notes including all the commands and
terminal output (and how to do the same behind an HTTP proxy) to you in
a minute or two.

regards

   Justin
2cc03ac9477cb48aa9b83b5227c638b8?d=identicon&s=25 Logan Kriete (Guest)
on 2005-12-08 14:14
Thanks again for the info - I finally got it working with the help of
everyone here. Now I've got my Ruby on Rails! :-)
Eaa5275b7c8df78c4d4216169c3add10?d=identicon&s=25 Charles (Guest)
on 2005-12-22 04:45
Logan Kriete wrote:
> Thanks again for the info - I finally got it working with the help of
> everyone here. Now I've got my Ruby on Rails! :-)

Hello, how did you get to fix it? I ran the above commands, I also ran
gem install rails --include-dependencies, but with no luck, the system
hangs...

I'm stuck in this particular step: Open a command window and run the
command gem install rails --remote.

Here's the tutorial I'm following:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rails.html

Thanks,