Forum: Ruby on Rails Check version of RubyGems, FastCGI, PCRE / uninstall

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
3275da7fdbd73cb4e7956fd0d29164de?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Bergstrom (palb)
on 2006-06-06 21:40
I followed hivelogic article on how to install Ror and Lighttpd on Mac
OS.

http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...

But I'm not sure I got Lighttpd in the right place.

If I do "which lighttpd" and "lighttpd -v" I get answers from the
terminal:

/usr/local/sbin/lighttpd

lighttpd-1.4.11 - a light and fast webserver

But I can't find a Lighttpd folder. Should there be one?

How can I check so I got RubyGems, PCRE and FastCGI correctly installed?

If I want to try installing again, can I just do that? Will it overwrite
the files I already got installed? Or how do I uninstall?
807e34b31d5463a9ac05d41458a9e537?d=identicon&s=25 Al Evans (al-evans)
on 2006-06-07 00:05
Pål Bergström wrote:

> If I do "which lighttpd" and "lighttpd -v" I get answers from the
> terminal:
>
> /usr/local/sbin/lighttpd
>
> lighttpd-1.4.11 - a light and fast webserver

That's where mine lives, and it works fine.

> But I can't find a Lighttpd folder. Should there be one?

No. You should see its source directory in the terminal application
wherever you built it. Mine's in /usr/local/src. But you won't see the
/usr directory in the Finder, because it's Magically Rendered
Invisible:-)

> How can I check so I got RubyGems, PCRE and FastCGI correctly installed?

Are they installed in /opt? If so, you can see that in the Finder. Look
in /opt/local/lib/ruby and the various directories thereof.

PCRE, on my machine, is in /usr/local/lib: ls /usr/local/lib/libpcre*

> If I want to try installing again, can I just do that? Will it overwrite
> the files I already got installed? Or how do I uninstall?

Yes, re-installing will replace the files that are being re-installed.


--Al Evans
3275da7fdbd73cb4e7956fd0d29164de?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Bergstrom (palb)
on 2006-06-07 08:58
Al Evans wrote:
> Pål Bergström wrote:
>
>> If I do "which lighttpd" and "lighttpd -v" I get answers from the
>> terminal:
>>
>> /usr/local/sbin/lighttpd
>>
>> lighttpd-1.4.11 - a light and fast webserver
>
> That's where mine lives, and it works fine.
>
>> But I can't find a Lighttpd folder. Should there be one?
>
> No. You should see its source directory in the terminal application
> wherever you built it. Mine's in /usr/local/src. But you won't see the
> /usr directory in the Finder, because it's Magically Rendered
> Invisible:-)

You mean the directory from which it was built, src as suggested? Sorry
for my lack of knowledge. I know my way around a bit with the terminal
but I've never compiled (is that the name?) an app myself.

I got a Applescript making them visible :-) Either that or via the
terminal. But that script is good to have.

>
>> How can I check so I got RubyGems, PCRE and FastCGI correctly installed?
>
> Are they installed in /opt? If so, you can see that in the Finder. Look
> in /opt/local/lib/ruby and the various directories thereof.

I don't got an opt directory? Hmm. Are both rubygems and fastcgi
installed with their names, so I can make a find?
>
> PCRE, on my machine, is in /usr/local/lib: ls /usr/local/lib/libpcre*

Got that. :-)

>
>> If I want to try installing again, can I just do that? Will it overwrite
>> the files I already got installed? Or how do I uninstall?
>
> Yes, re-installing will replace the files that are being re-installed.

Ok. Good to know. I might give Lighttpd another chance.

>
>
> --Al Evans
807e34b31d5463a9ac05d41458a9e537?d=identicon&s=25 Al Evans (al-evans)
on 2006-06-07 13:56
Pål Bergström wrote:

>> No. You should see its source directory in the terminal application
>> wherever you built it. Mine's in /usr/local/src. But you won't see the
>> /usr directory in the Finder, because it's Magically Rendered
>> Invisible:-)
>
> You mean the directory from which it was built, src as suggested?

Yes. Unless you deleted it after the build.

>>> How can I check so I got RubyGems, PCRE and FastCGI correctly installed?
>>
>> Are they installed in /opt? If so, you can see that in the Finder. Look
>> in /opt/local/lib/ruby and the various directories thereof.
>
> I don't got an opt directory? Hmm. Are both rubygems and fastcgi
> installed with their names, so I can make a find?

A find for -name 'rubygems.rb' should get rubygems; -name 'fcgi.rb'
should find fastcgi.

--Al Evans
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.