Forum: Ruby Re: Ruby App as a Windows Service?

3be45f6ce2674d66238e593dfa2edd15?d=identicon&s=25 DEBAUN, STEVE [Seminis/2400] (Guest)
I couldn't get win32-service to work.  I ended up using Firedaemon.

If you use Firedaemon, you don't need to use RubyScript2Exe.  Just have
Firedaemon run: 'ruby c:\foo\bar.rb'

sd
8ecb8bb62c3283f8069a54056c7dc25f?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Freeze (Guest)
On 6/6/06, DEBAUN, STEVE [Seminis/2400] <steve.debaun@seminis.com>
wrote:

> I couldn't get win32-service to work.  I ended up using Firedaemon.
>
> If you use Firedaemon, you don't need to use RubyScript2Exe.  Just have
> Firedaemon run: 'ruby c:\foo\bar.rb'

These machines don't have ruby installed. I supposed I could use
AllInOne
Ruby, but I thought RubyScript2Exe would be easier.

Daniel

I saw win32-service, but have no idea how to use it. Can you provide an
example.

Thanks
5b75d07b5adfc157376fe012845cb08a?d=identicon&s=25 Jamey Cribbs (Guest)
Jim Freeze wrote:

> These machines don't have ruby installed. I supposed I could use AllInOne
> Ruby, but I thought RubyScript2Exe would be easier.
>
> Daniel
>
> I saw win32-service, but have no idea how to use it. Can you provide an
> example.

I want to second Daniel's suggestion to use win32-service.  If no one
else comes up with a better example, you are welcome to download
KirbyBase (www.netpromi.com/kirbybase_ruby.html) and check out an
example usage.  In the distribution, I have a fairly rudimentary script
that turns the KirbyBase server script into a Windows service using
win32-service.  I have been running this process at my day job for
several months now for a production application and it works
flawlessly.  Hats off to Daniel and the win32 utilities team!

Jamey Cribbs