Forum: Ruby on Rails Building a UK based e-commerce store in rails

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
B0be4bfef5a22697a0f44f4fe295aaef?d=identicon&s=25 James Whittaker (aftershock)
on 2006-06-05 12:37

I have built a few sites with Rails, however I have been approached by a
company wanting an e-commerce / online shop built. I would love to build
one in rails with the knoweledge I now have. I have the agile book and
the pickaxe book they are my reference guide. However there is virtually
nothing on creating real world e-commerce sites in rails.

They will be selling to both businesses and the general public. The
products will be mainly computer hardware but also some software
delivery in the future

My main issues are payment and SSL and software delivery of product.
How can I handle payments online using rails for a UK company?
What payment processors do people use for the UK (i'm pretty new to the
e-commerce game!) as my client does not want to use PayPal.
SSL integegration ( I presume that this will be handled by Lighttpd in
TextDrive).

What is the proven way of selling software products online form a store,
specifically a rails one?

If someone could give me some proper solid advice or pointers as to
where I can look/ask I would be most grateful.

Also are there any UK stores powered by a rails app?

I need to way up my options, I could use an open source E-commerce PHP
engine and customise that but would really like to goe the rails way as
we all know that is the future!

There are a lot of people mentioning Authorize.net. This is for the
States only,  am I wrong? What Payment Gateways are people using for a
UK based company?

Thanks again
882cc23c77c5c6d27613c51396a02a0d?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Bartholomew (Guest)
on 2006-06-05 12:55
(Received via mailing list)
It's very easy to do payment integration on Rails - no different from
other platforms really.

I'm current working on a Rails site where the client is using secpay
(www.secpay.co.uk).

In the past on other (non-rails) projects i've used Protx
(www.protx.co.uk), Secure Hosting (www.securehosting.com) and Worldpay
(www.worldpay.com).

In my experience, it tends to come down to the client as to which is
choosen for the project, although i'm getting more pushy since i started
using Rails - must be a side-effect :0)

The first thing the customer will need is an internet merchant number
from their bank. This will then be used to set up the account with the
payment gateway.  Most of the payment gateways offer advice on all of
this.

I've not worked on systems that deliver products online so maybe someone
else could advise on that - although again, i can't imagine it being a
big deal.

Hope that helps,

Steve
B0be4bfef5a22697a0f44f4fe295aaef?d=identicon&s=25 James Whittaker (aftershock)
on 2006-06-05 14:47
Stephen Bartholomew wrote:
> It's very easy to do payment integration on Rails - no different from
> other platforms really.
>
> I'm current working on a Rails site where the client is using secpay
> (www.secpay.co.uk).
>
> In the past on other (non-rails) projects i've used Protx
> (www.protx.co.uk), Secure Hosting (www.securehosting.com) and Worldpay
> (www.worldpay.com).
>
> In my experience, it tends to come down to the client as to which is
> choosen for the project, although i'm getting more pushy since i started
> using Rails - must be a side-effect :0)
>
> The first thing the customer will need is an internet merchant number
> from their bank. This will then be used to set up the account with the
> payment gateway.  Most of the payment gateways offer advice on all of
> this.
>
> I've not worked on systems that deliver products online so maybe someone
> else could advise on that - although again, i can't imagine it being a
> big deal.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Steve


Steve,

Thanks for the informative reply, how difficult is it to integrate say
secpay. It looks like they will allow connections over SSL and the use
of XMLRPC or SOAP. In your implementation are you just directing to the
secpay secure page for the transaction or are you using XML or SOAP to
connect?

What is the best way (or gem) to work with XML in rails?

The pricing on Secpay looks to be pretty good too.

Many thanks again steve
882cc23c77c5c6d27613c51396a02a0d?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Bartholomew (Guest)
on 2006-06-05 15:23
(Received via mailing list)
> In your implementation are you just directing to the
 > secpay secure page for the transaction
I've just gone with the simplest way yeah :0) I've used SSL/Remote Calls
with PHP on a Protx integration but to be honest, i've found a bit over
the top in most cases. This site just sends the user to secpay and
recieves a postback notification with the result of the card
transaction.

As such i've not really XMLRPC or SOAP in a Rails app, although i know
they're both spikey subjects in the Rails community :0)

Steve
B0be4bfef5a22697a0f44f4fe295aaef?d=identicon&s=25 James Whittaker (aftershock)
on 2006-06-05 15:34
Stephen Bartholomew wrote:
>> In your implementation are you just directing to the
>  > secpay secure page for the transaction
> I've just gone with the simplest way yeah :0) I've used SSL/Remote Calls
> with PHP on a Protx integration but to be honest, i've found a bit over
> the top in most cases. This site just sends the user to secpay and
> recieves a postback notification with the result of the card
> transaction.
>
> As such i've not really XMLRPC or SOAP in a Rails app, although i know
> they're both spikey subjects in the Rails community :0)
>
> Steve

It looks like integrating an XMLRPC solution should be fairly simple, at
least on paper anyway. The XMLRPC looks quite integrated in Rails have
not used it myself so I will look into it are there any pitfalls I need
to know about before hand?

Also is there an issue with switching between normal site & SSL site?
B3d65b33ea473c2671a1c98481ce51fc?d=identicon&s=25 James Burns-Howell (Guest)
on 2006-06-05 16:01
(Received via mailing list)
James Whittaker wrote:

>
> There are a lot of people mentioning Authorize.net. This is for the
> States only,  am I wrong? What Payment Gateways are people using for a
> UK based company?
>

I've got a working Ruby library for Protx if you want - it's a bit
rough and could probably do with being rolled into one of the other
payment frameworks (Active Merchant) but has been in use with us for
a few months without fault.

It's for their VSP Direct protocol (http://www.protx.com/support/
04_downloads.asp)

J
3c4067229e39ae56a0735b6491020533?d=identicon&s=25 Chris (Guest)
on 2006-06-05 16:29
I've used SecPay in the past and now use Protx for my clients, Secpay
were pretty good but all my clients prefer Protx now, but it's all a
matter of personal taste really, they're both very good at what they do.


James Burns-Howell wrote:

> I've got a working Ruby library for Protx if you want - it's a bit
> rough and could probably do with being rolled into one of the other
> payment frameworks (Active Merchant) but has been in use with us for
> a few months without fault.
>
> It's for their VSP Direct protocol (http://www.protx.com/support/
> 04_downloads.asp)
>
> J

I would love a copy of that library if you don't mind, would be very
useful, any chance of posting it? many thanks, Chris
B0be4bfef5a22697a0f44f4fe295aaef?d=identicon&s=25 James Whittaker (aftershock)
on 2006-06-06 12:34
James Burns-Howell wrote:
> James Whittaker wrote:
>
>>
>> There are a lot of people mentioning Authorize.net. This is for the
>> States only,  am I wrong? What Payment Gateways are people using for a
>> UK based company?
>>
>
> I've got a working Ruby library for Protx if you want - it's a bit
> rough and could probably do with being rolled into one of the other
> payment frameworks (Active Merchant) but has been in use with us for
> a few months without fault.
>
> It's for their VSP Direct protocol (http://www.protx.com/support/
> 04_downloads.asp)
>
> J

James, have been looking at Protx and my client is leaning towards them
now. If you have a rough cut of the code for the Protx Direct protocol
that would be great ti use as a basis. I have looked at ActiveMerchant
and would be looking to integrate a Protx solution in with in. You can
get my email address from my name on the top of the post.

Do you find that working with the Protx protocol to be fairly intuitive?
As they don't use XML RPC or SOAP it seems a little more fiddly to me.
You have to deal with HTTPS POSTS and Requests.

I take it that the code you built was based around the PHP example they
supply?

Many thanks again.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.