Forum: Ruby on Rails Seek Rails Design Pattern for Photo Manipulation Service

07d688a0c3f08059d5172b188222d1d8?d=identicon&s=25 Douglass Turner (dugla)
on 2006-06-03 21:35
Hello,

I've built a powerful image manipulation engine in C++ that I want to
deploy as a Web-based service for all to use. The idea is straight
forward: Visit my site, submit a photo, select a visual treatment, press
go, and receive the resultant photo via email.

See samples here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/theimageengine

While the engine is rock solid, I am struggling a bit with how to
architect the Rails around it. I suspect this architecture is one that
has appeared elsewhere and I am wondering if someone could sketch for me
what it should look like.

Thanks in advance,
Doug Turner
skype: dduuggllaa
Dc730e56d34292b3a5c73925cf5a9d39?d=identicon&s=25 ajaya agrawalla (ajay)
on 2006-06-06 05:48
Douglass Turner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've built a powerful image manipulation engine in C++ that I want to
> deploy as a Web-based service for all to use. The idea is straight
> forward: Visit my site, submit a photo, select a visual treatment, press
> go, and receive the resultant photo via email.
>
> See samples here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/theimageengine
>
> While the engine is rock solid, I am struggling a bit with how to
> architect the Rails around it. I suspect this architecture is one that
> has appeared elsewhere and I am wondering if someone could sketch for me
> what it should look like.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Doug Turner
> skype: dduuggllaa

Here is my 10 sec design.  Use file_column to load the file and
associated atttributes.  Once upload succeeds kick a job on the server
to do the transofrmation and send the email.

ajay