Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Railmail: rails plugin (http://railmail.nullstyle.com)

B87eff1f97185b8b1563f918df995b0d?d=identicon&s=25 nullstyle (Guest)
Hi all,
  Just dropping a line here because I have recently release a plugin
that some of you might find interesting or get a little use out of.  I
call it Railmail.  In a nutshell, it traps any mail sent through
ActionMailer (when the delivery_method is set to :railmail), stores it
in a database, and provides an interface to view those messages.

  My initial motivation for the plugin was gmail:  While developing
locally on my laptop at work, gmail wouldn't accept any mail being
sent from my machine.  This was very frustrating as it slowed down my
development greatly, since every tweak to a mailer would require me to
upload a version to our server to test the change.  With Railmail,
everything is local.

  Well, I hope some of you find some for it:
http://railmail.nullstyle.com

-Scott Fleckenstein
This sounds cool, Scott.

Default development environment behavior writes the entire email
to log/development.log

Why wasn't that enough to develop?

--
-- Tom Mornini
B87eff1f97185b8b1563f918df995b0d?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Fleckenstein (Guest)

-Scott Fleckenstein
Db303dc84d03a992b33cd3ac978f89ae?d=identicon&s=25 Benjamin Curtis (Guest)
Added to the Rails plugin directory: http://agilewebdevelopment.com/
plugins/rail_mail :)

--
Benjamin Curtis
http://www.bencurtis.com/
nullstyle wrote:
> Hi all,
>   Just dropping a line here because I have recently release a plugin
> that some of you might find interesting or get a little use out of.  I
> call it Railmail.  In a nutshell, it traps any mail sent through
> ActionMailer (when the delivery_method is set to :railmail), stores it
> in a database, and provides an interface to view those messages.
>
>   My initial motivation for the plugin was gmail:  While developing
> locally on my laptop at work, gmail wouldn't accept any mail being
> sent from my machine.  This was very frustrating as it slowed down my
> development greatly, since every tweak to a mailer would require me to
> upload a version to our server to test the change.  With Railmail,
> everything is local.

neat. ive been meaning to write a Mail reader in rails, since muttng
takes 5 minues to load a large maildir even with header caching, and ive
seen horror stories about gnus propensity to go apeshit on resources,
not to mention i couldnt figure out how to configure it and ive been
using emacs for a while..

the part im undecided about is storing mail in the database, or
implement a subset of AR to deal with maildirs instead of database as
the backend..

>   Well, I hope some of you find some for it:
> http://railmail.nullstyle.com

slightly OT, how are you liking Mercurial?

> -Scott Fleckenstein

and there sa bug in this forum, if the topic is between 61 and 64
characters, you wont be able to reply to it without shortening it
manually..
B87eff1f97185b8b1563f918df995b0d?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Fleckenstein (Guest)
on 2006-06-04 05:07

> slightly OT, how are you liking Mercurial?

I love it.  It's pure joy to use.  Fast, simple, easily extendable.  It
lacks a few of the annoying aspects of subversion:  Easy file ignores
(using regexes or globs) that can apply to the whole repository, and
simplified branching.

Also I've hacked together a simple SCM module for capistrano to work
with it.