Forum: Ruby - New leadership for ruby-spreadsheet

Daniel Berger (Guest)
Hi all,

I'm looking for someone to take over the lead role for the "spreadsheet"
package.  I just don't have the vested interest in this library that I
once had, and so I figure it's time to turn it over to someone who can
devote their full attention to it.

That would mean taking over both the current project (on SourceForge)
and the new project (on RubyForge).

http://rubyspreadsheet.sf.net
http://rubyforge.org/projects/spreadsheet/

The SourceForge project is what you see on the RAA currently.  It's the
old Excel 95 format (a port of Spreadsheet::Excel 0.x).

The RubyForge project is an incomplete version of the Excel 97 format (a
port of Spreadsheet::Excel 2.x).  I've got most everything in the CVS
repository but the output isn't quite right - some bytes are off
somewhere.

If you're interested please email me offline at djberg96 at gmail dot
com.

Please, only people who have an actual *need* for this library, along
with a fair amount of free time, should consider taking over this
project.  It's a lot work, and there's lots to be done - formula
support, for example.  I would also say that the ability to read Perl
code is a must as well.

On a side note, I've found that John McNamara (the author of the Perl
module I ported) is quite friendly and happy to answer any questions you
might have.

Regards,

Dan
Dominic Sisneros (Guest)
I think this offers the same functionality as
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/parseexcel/.  Maybe that owner can take
over or combine?
8d9ed5a28d814f67121afb1cd49e64d5?d=identicon&s=25 Brian B. (brian)
Cool.  This library has functionality I need but did not know about.

The download has special gem installation instructions (which I used and
worked fine)  but one cannot install by

gem install spreadsheet-excel

I think a published gem would increase the visibility of the library.

Any comments anyone on this lib verses
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/parseexcel/ ?

--Brian
Hannes Wyss (Guest)
On 6/2/06, Brian Buckley <briankbuckley@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think a published gem would increase the visibility of the library.
Congratulations, you've made it to the wishlist :) I'll look into it
starting tuesday.

> Any comments anyone on this lib verses
> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/parseexcel/ ?
As Dan mentioned earlier: ParseExcel reads and Spreadsheet::Excel
writes excel files.
ParseExcel will eventually be merged into the Spreadsheet::Excel
project, or at least into the same namespace.

Top o' the morning
Hannes
David Pollak (Guest)
I don't have the time to take on the project, but I've written a couple
of
commercial spreadsheets (Mesa for NextStep [still available as Mesa on
OS
X], Mesa for OS/2, and the Java-based Integer.)  If anyone needs someone
bounce ideas off of, I'd be glad to lend an ear.
Hannes Wyss (Guest)
Brian, everybody

On 6/2/06, Hannes Wyss <hannes.wyss@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/2/06, Brian Buckley <briankbuckley@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think a published gem would increase the visibility of the library.
> Congratulations, you've made it to the wishlist :) I'll look into it
> starting tuesday.

Just a quick follow-up: there is now a gem each published on rubyforge
for both Spreadsheet::Excel and ParseExcel. You may have to wait for
them to hit your nearest mirror.

cheers
Hannes
Dominic Sisneros (Guest)
Where is the Rubyforge project for ParseExcel.  I saw the rubyforge
project
for spreadsheet and was able to install spreadsheet-excel gem
but this doesn't have any of the parse excel stuff yet.  Where is the
gem
for parseexcel? Thanks