Forum: Ruby Newbie Question

C733cf80c921ab4ae7ad60f42bf5f274?d=identicon&s=25 Askme Askmeo (falcon)
on 2006-05-30 17:15
All,

I was URL'd to this place after asking a XML question.
Is this the right place for New to Ruby  ?
What does a basic Ruby Application look like ?

The only hands on expirience with making a GUI was a trial phase with
REALbasic
to get a grip on what programming is all about. They sent me here.

I need to have a Application that obtains data from a XML web page and
log that data to a txt log file everytime the web page auto updates
itself.

The purpose is to log sporting event results in real time.
It would be a utility type Application to compliment other tasks and
calculations done in Excel.

Please paste URL/s to the next place if this is not the right place for
brand newbies to Ruby.

Cheers

Thanks

falcon
62002cee15efcf4628cd7efc19425a07?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Becker (Guest)
> I was URL'd to this place after asking a XML question.
> Is this the right place for New to Ruby  ?
> What does a basic Ruby Application look like ?
>
> The only hands on expirience with making a GUI was a trial phase with
> REALbasic  to get a grip on what programming is all about. They sent me here.

I'm afraid that if you're new to programming, there isn't really any
place where you can ask "how do I write an application?" and expect an
answer.

A number of good resources exist for learning Ruby. Premier among them
is the book "Programming Ruby", and older edition of which is
available online under a free license here:
http://www.rubycentral.com/book/

The `home` of Ruby's documentation lives at: http://www.ruby-doc.org/
which is a great place to start as well. There's also "Why's
(Poignant) Guide to Ruby" http://poignantguide.net/ruby/ if you're
not into the typical programming texts...

> I need to have a Application that obtains data from a XML web page and
> log that data to a txt log file everytime the web page auto updates
> itself.

I'm not sure why you need a GUI application for that. Ruby provides
standard libs for everything you need to handle the described task,
the standard lib is documented at ruby-doc.org.

I'm afraid you'll have to ask more specific questions to get better
answers.

Hope this helps get you started,
   -Tim
34f159f89cbd1d9beac0276f5a7af552?d=identicon&s=25 John Gabriele (Guest)
On 5/30/06, Askme Askmeo <pete777@safe-mail.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> I was URL'd to this place after asking a XML question.
> Is this the right place for New to Ruby  ?
> What does a basic Ruby Application look like ?

Hi. Welcome. :)

This list is most often used for folks asking specific questions after
they've already tried a few things and done some research.

If you're brand new to Ruby, you might have a look at some of the
content here: http://www.ruby-doc.org/ .

Also, at the RubyGarden (http://www.rubygarden.org/) there's the faq:
http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/dispatch.cgi?control...
and the wiki: http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby .

You can try out running some Ruby code online (in your browser) here:
http://tryruby.hobix.com/ .

After learning the basics, you'll then probably start your application
(the one you describe below) by looking in the standard library to see
what's in there that can help you:

- obtain a page from a web site,
- parse the XML in it.

If what you need isn't in the standard library, you can usually find
what you need at RubyForge. There's also a site called the RAA (Ruby
Application Archive -- http://raa.ruby-lang.org/ ) that lists a lot of
available Ruby modules (which may not be listed at RubyForge I
presume).

Enjoy. :)

---John
Fc784eadb3b54531fdc3d2053db6f83f?d=identicon&s=25 Mat Schaffer (Guest)
On May 30, 2006, at 12:34 PM, Tim Becker wrote:
> answer.
>
> A number of good resources exist for learning Ruby. Premier among them
> is the book "Programming Ruby", and older edition of which is
> available online under a free license here:
> http://www.rubycentral.com/book/
>
> The `home` of Ruby's documentation lives at: http://www.ruby-doc.org/
> which is a great place to start as well. There's also "Why's
> (Poignant) Guide to Ruby" http://poignantguide.net/ruby/ if you're
> not into the typical programming texts...

Don't forget "Learn to Program" http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/
titles/fr_ltp/
I haven't read it myself, but it gets a lot of press as a great
beginner book.  And it teaches you in ruby, so you'll be ready to go
once you get a handle on the basics.
C733cf80c921ab4ae7ad60f42bf5f274?d=identicon&s=25 Askme Askmeo (falcon)
on 2006-05-31 03:52
Mat Schaffer wrote:
> On May 30, 2006, at 12:34 PM, Tim Becker wrote:
>> answer.
>>
>> A number of good resources exist for learning Ruby. Premier among them
>> is the book "Programming Ruby", and older edition of which is
>> available online under a free license here:
>> http://www.rubycentral.com/book/
>>
>> The `home` of Ruby's documentation lives at: http://www.ruby-doc.org/
>> which is a great place to start as well. There's also "Why's
>> (Poignant) Guide to Ruby" http://poignantguide.net/ruby/ if you're
>> not into the typical programming texts...
>
> Don't forget "Learn to Program" http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/
> titles/fr_ltp/
> I haven't read it myself, but it gets a lot of press as a great
> beginner book.  And it teaches you in ruby, so you'll be ready to go
> once you get a handle on the basics.

Thanks everyone, this helped much to check out these URL's.
Will look into it.