Forum: Ruby Re: Installation question

67bb4df2775f6a6b603347dce7119571?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
>I seem to have the main Ruby folder in /usr/lib/ruby. Is that the
>correct place?

You've followed a standard installation procedure. Just leave
everything in the  /usr directory and subdirectories
where it is, and make a directory

/home/<your name>/ruby

(for instance by calling a shell and typing in

su  <RETURN>
<Your superuser/computer administrator password> <RETURN>
cd /  <RETURN>
mkdir /home/<your name>/ruby <RETURN>
or by some graphical way Mac OSX provides)

You can then call your favourite editor, type some Ruby script,
save it in /home/<your name>/ruby, and run it from there.

Best regards,
Axel
31af45939fec7e3c4ed8a798c0bd9b1a?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Smillie (Guest)
On May 29, 2006, at 22:46, Nuralanur@aol.com wrote:

> (for instance by calling a shell and typing in
>
> su  <RETURN>
> <Your superuser/computer administrator password> <RETURN>
> cd /  <RETURN>
> mkdir /home/<your name>/ruby <RETURN>
> or by some graphical way Mac OSX provides)

While these are perfect instructions for any of the fairly standard
unixes, they're a little off when it comes to OSX:

  - home directories exist under the /Users directory, not /home
  - the 'su' command isn't usable in the default configuration

Also, why would someone need to be the superuser to make a directory
under their home directory?  Surely 'mkdir ~/ruby' would be a lot
quicker?  Or even 'cd' 'mkdir ruby'?

I realise that people are trying to help, but I'd also like to
suggest that unless people are familiar with a platform, they hold
back on giving advice about it.

My reasoning for this request is this: not-quite-right advice is
actually a fair bit more dangerous than flat-out wrong advice for
novice users (who are the kind of users who need and ask for advice).

Wrong advice is obviously wrong, it gets tried and discarded right away.

Not-quite-wrong advice costs people a lot of time and effort before
they realise that they've been led down the garden path, or can lead
people into some bad practices and habits.

matthew smillie.