Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Jabber Powered Rails Chatroom

F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Denenberg (Guest)
For those who cant access IRC, or just looking for a quick browser based
alternative, i started an open jabber powered webchat for rails.
Hopefully
this will be a nice alternative for people to go to ask questions, get
some
help, offer some help, etc.

I hope the community enjoys it, just trying to give a little back for
all
the hard work.

It can be accessed here

http://jabber.dufftech.com

adam
29b15f133c26b6dac0e4954d61733db9?d=identicon&s=25 Larry Kelly (Guest)
Cool!

I bounce around between several computers.  It's nice to have a browser
based solution.
-Larry
A05834e9b5954947eb0ba3b570c47d5e?d=identicon&s=25 Pratik Naik (pratik)
Awesome !

Any chance you're planning to opensource the scripts ?

Thanks,
Pratik
F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Denenberg (Guest)
its just a web app that one of the guys on the JWchat team wrote (MUckl)
. I
then have an HTTP Polling service that routes http requests to my jabber
server.

If anyone already has a jabber account somewhere you can connect
directly to
my conference service at railschat@conference.jabber.dufftech.com

adam
F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Denenberg (Guest)
sorry thats just rails@conference.jabber.dufftech.com

Also if anyone wants to check out mabber.com (same guy who wrote the
webchat
i use) its a web based jabber client, and i just successfully tested
connecting to my jabber chatroom through it, so thats another
alternative
for those who dont want to use a web page, or dont have a jabber
account.

hope everyone finds it useful.

adam
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
Nice to have options.
Although DHH should really open up a public Campfire page for Rails
chat.

On 5/29/06, Adam Denenberg <straightflush@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks,

6f7c877de704c7cc03c8a3b2dc52df92?d=identicon&s=25 Carmen --- (carmen)
on 2006-05-30 07:00
Adam Denenberg wrote:
> For those who cant access IRC, or just looking for a quick browser based
> alternative, i started an open jabber powered webchat for rails.

does this interface with the freenode channel? i love that its so big
but something like a tivo for it is needed. in a bridge situation,
oldschool users can still grep "^nick:" stuff in their mIRC/irssi logs,
while us web users can have things pre-threaded, nice search, etc.

btw, the page just gives me a blank background pattern in opera 9.0
after logging in..
F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Denenberg (Guest)
this doesnt interface with freenode.  Its a basic jabber based web
chatroom
as an alternative for IRC.  Sometimes IRC is either blocked or not
easily
accessible so I thought this would be a nice alternative when you need a
quick answer from anywhere.

adam
F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Denenberg (Guest)
For ease of use I have moved this to a new site.

http://www.railswebchat.com

adam
6f7c877de704c7cc03c8a3b2dc52df92?d=identicon&s=25 Carmen --- (carmen)
on 2006-05-30 21:33
> this doesnt interface with freenode.
> http://www.railswebchat.com

then im suggesting the idea :) #TCL has a bridge between their freenode
channel and a Tk (web?)chat platform which works quite well... more
interesting than a splintering of the chat community would be providing
new accessibiity options - eg web browser, and threading ,
searchability, and non-real-time replies to other users.. anyways. im
not going to develop it, since this forum is fine, but the area is ripe
for picking (if 3bubbles, Campfire, GTalkr, Meebo, Mabber, etc have any
say)
6f7c877de704c7cc03c8a3b2dc52df92?d=identicon&s=25 Carmen --- (carmen)
on 2006-05-30 21:34
>  since this forum is fine

and really this 'forum' proves my point. since its also an oldschool
mailing-list, a gmane group, etc..
F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Denenberg (Guest)
well we can use jjig to build a gateway between jabber and IRC, but
keeping
the 2 conference rooms in sync might be tricky.  I will investigate.

adam